Task manager on vocational and digital skills development
UNDP in Uzbekistan in partnership with the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations (MELR) of the Republic of Uzbekistan initiated a project “Adapting population skills to the post-pandemic economy in Ferghana Valley”. The initiative is funded by the Russian Federation - UNDP-Trust Fund for Development (TFD). The project is aimed at contributing to poverty reduction through increased employment and entrepreneurship opportunities of the population, especially the youth of Fergana Valley by building entrepreneurship and future skills among students and job-seekers.
The project aims at forging a new pathway for the future of work—based on continuous skills attainment, digital leapfrogging and a new balance between life and work. The development objective of the project is reskilling and upskilling of the workforce to deliver new business models in the post-pandemic era. It will target college and university graduates, young women and men in informal employment, returning migrants and other vulnerable groups and help Uzbekistan Government and private sector to craft policies and talent strategy that develop employees’ critical digital and cognitive capabilities, their technical and socio-emotional skills, and their adaptability and resilience. At least 20,000 young people will be benefiting from the project annually.
The project will concentrate its work in three major directions:
- Creating decent employment opportunities by improving technical and digital skills and competencies of self-employed and unemployed women, returning migrants, youth and other vulnerable groups in Fergana Valley that are future-resistant, sustainable and adaptable to changing environment;
- Strengthening entrepreneurship skills development and start-up ecosystem; and
- Support re-designing of Government labour market programmes (LMPs) and increasing their impact and reach to create better opportunities for those employed in the informal economy.
In this regards, UNDP is now seeking an experienced Task Manager to manage project activities on creating decent employment opportunities by improving technical and digital skills and competencies of self-employed and unemployed women, returning migrants, youth and other vulnerable groups in Fergana Valley, provide operational and thematic services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work and fulfill the outcomes and objectives as set out under the component 1 of the Project document.
Duties and Responsibilities
Task Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and ensure smooth and timely delivery of operations under Component 1 of the project in accordance with annual and quarterly work plans of the Project through performing the following duties and responsibilities:
- Implement the approved AWP and ensure compliance with the milestones and delivery targets under Component 1, outlined in the Project Document, including:
- Manage project activities on vocational and digital skills development to fulfill the outcomes and objectives as set out in the Project document and undertakes day-to-day responsibility for the satisfactory achievement and implementation of the project component outputs;
- Familiarize him/herself with the international experience on the crisis- resilient recovery and future skills development programmes and develop comprehensive analysis and evidence-based policy advice to the Government of Uzbekistan;
- Develop methodological basis for monitoring of the labor markets, as well as updating qualitative and quantitative indicators of employment, demand and supply for labour force in the context of professions and qualifications;
- Conduct rapid assessment of ongoing support programmes in the area of skills development in the context of COVID-19 (including conducting survey among employers on the basis of designed methodology) and organize capacity building training and workshops in conducting rapid assessments;
- Support design and implementation of the short- and medium-term programmes for building technical skills and competencies of self-employed and unemployed men and women in selected most demanded working professions to address immediate post-crisis market demands;
- Engage in designing of tutoring and methodological materials and conduct trainings for “Ishga Marhamat” Monocenters and local Centres for Professional Development (CPDs) in selected regions of the Republic of Uzbekistan (in Andijan, Namangan and Fergana regions), develop, introduce and adapt resilience-building distance learning solutions;
- Provide technical support in establishing WorldSkills standards and competence assessment infrastructure in pilot CPDs and technical assistance to MELR with establishing public-private partnership with the private training centres on professional education and competence assessment.
- Commit in strengthening management and service delivery capacities in pilot local Centres for Professional Development and/or TVET colleges to provide high-quality skills development trainings and support the establishment of the Career Centers at Fergana State University and Namangan State University
- Develop training and tutoring materials for the Ministry of Employment and Labor Relations to establish within the framework of a professional college a STEAM programme, as well as focusing on building digital and future skills;
- Support building resilience and adapting skills of migrant workers to post-COVID labor market demands and providing new income generating opportunities to the left-behind families of the migrant workers, technical and life skills training for the migrants, including women (on reproductive health and family planning, life-skills modules), mobilize additional resources for organizing language programmes for migrant workers, development and adaptation of the language assessment methodologies;
- Support Project Manager in drafting, updating and regularly reviewing project work plans. Assist in monitoring and ensuring efficient implementation of activities in accordance with the approved work plan, ensure best use of personnel and financial resources, and monitor progress against the initial quality criteria.
- Provide inputs for annual reports, work plans and any other planning, monitoring documents required by the UNDP;
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to obtain any support and guidance required for management and implementation of project activities within the Component 1;
- Under the guidance of the Project Manger work in close collaboration with the Government counterparts, UNDP to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery;
- Support Project Manager in monitoring implementation of project outputs for adopting corrective measures in project implementation, when necessary, to ensure timely delivery of required inputs and achievement of results;
- Support the project team in conducting advocacy and outreach activities, writing of success stories, press-releases, newspapers coverage, and other relevant PR campaigns;
- Support Project Manager in monitoring financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports, including proper utilization of funds and delivery, budget revisions, availability of funds, reconciliation of accounts, establishment of internal control mechanisms;
- Support Project Manager in maintaining project related information in corporate programmatic and financial management frameworks, up to date;
- Assist Project Manager in preparing and submitting in a timely manner, other programmatic, and ensure that the reports meet corporate quality standards;
- Be proactive in advising response to opportunities for resource mobilization and fundraising;
- Organize workshops, seminars, and round tables to introduce project outputs to all stakeholders involved;
- Liaise with other UNDP projects to implement possible synergies;
- Undertake other tasks, necessary for successful management of the project, as required by the supervisor.
- Document lessons learned and best practices;
- Access global best practices, share them with relevant local and international stakeholders and ensure their incorporation into the project implementation and design process;
- Provide any other necessary support in coaching, guidance for the project staff that will boost their capacity to deliver results.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment, self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Managing conflict and facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision-making.
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Demonstrates maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
2. Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Actively mentoring project staff under her/his supervision;
- Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focus on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge on: 1) Development of vocational and digital skills programmes; 2) Methodological basis for conducting analyses of demand and supply for labour force in the context of professions and qualifications; 3) Ongoing support programmes in the area of skills development in the context of COVID-19; 4) Preparing training modules on improving digital and future skills, as well as distance learning solutions; 5) Introduction and expansion of adaptation training courses for migrants; other relevant topics
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in any of the following areas of labour economics, public policy, business management, management, economics, IT or other related fields;
- At least 3-years of progressive work experience in the field of private sector development, rural development, gender and youth issues, development of laws and regulations, methodology and/or analysis;
- Work experience in any development organizations is an advantage
- Fluency in English, proficiency in Uzbek and Russian languages.
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource;
- Experience in handling mobile application development and web based management systems;
- Good understanding of private sector development issues, business and labour regulatory environment;
- Proven experience in development of research papers and reports, publications and analytical notes;
- Understanding of Gender equality concept and women empowerment issue;
- Initiative and strong leadership skills;
- Result and client-orientations;
- Strong analytical, writing, presentation and communication skills.
Important applicant information
All posts in the National Personnel Service Agreement (NPSA) categories are subject to local recruitment.
"For more information, please visit: UNDP - POPP - Policy Page”
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.