Head of Programme Support Unit, Yemen (National Position)
** This position is open to National Candidates of Yemen, Only**
Yemen is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, with up to 80% of the population currently in need of some form of humanitarian or protective assistance, many due to a breakdown in existing support systems and the deterioration of all basic services. Protracted conflict, economic deterioration and the sustained non-payment of public salaries have left two-thirds of Yemen’s population – 20 million people – facing crisis or emergency food insecurity and a threat of widespread famine.
With operations in yemen since 2012, NRC operates in ten governorates clustered under three Area Offices. In addition, the NRC Djbouti country operations is fourth Area Office in the same structure.
With a strong focus on programme quality, the Head of Programme Support Unit will guide the development, provide proactive support and ensure continuous improvements of consortium and complex projects management, emergency response, MEAL and liaison activities. The position and related unit will be an intrinsic an integrated part of the CO Programme Department. As this is a new position in the CO Programme Department, the position will evolve as part of the Department’s requirements and under supervision of the Head of Programme.
The role will specifically:
- Supervise and/or initiate the development and embedding technical guidance documents and tools relevant for the unit (e.g. Standard Operating Procedures relating to consortia management, accountability, liaison, emergency response mechanisms, NRC global partnership tools, etc.)
- Supervise and support the MEAL manager to ensure a robust M&E system is in place
- Contribute to lessons learnt and evidence-based programming in a systematic manner.
- Standardize the system and tools for community engagement approaches used by NRC across core competencies
- Provide strategic and pro-active implementation support for the consortia portfolio and other projects managed staff in the unit
- Represent with relevant partners and donors as relevant for the consortia portfolio and as delegated by HoP
- Be an ambassador for continuously improving the Departments operations and added-value within the organization
Professional competencies for this position:
- University degree in Project Management, Development Studies, Social science, or the equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a senior humanitarian position, with line management and project management responsibilities
- Experience of working on, coordinating or leading consortia or other forms of partnership implementation
- Experience in external negotiating and managing partnerships
- Experience in M&E systems and approaches, and accountability mechanisms and frameworks
- Strong capacities in timely and qualitative report writing – including analysis, summarising and copy-editing
- Experience working in complex contexts
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience with/skills in managing performance/non-performance
- Skills in providing remote support
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal
Contextual skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Yemen
- Knowledge of donor landscape, priorities and conditions
- Experience of working in integrated programmes
- Experience of steering the development of M&E systems
- Experience working with government, local authorities and humanitarian actors
Visit this link for the job description
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract renewable subject to funding
- Management Grade 10 in NRC's grade structure
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**