Back-end Software Developer Norway
What problems are more interesting to solve than making people click more ads? Plenty. We at NRC have embarked on a massive, yet exhilarating, challenge to radically rethink how technology is put to the service of millions of people. Join our new team of smart, hard-working individuals who accept the challenge and choose to shape a better tomorrow. Members of this team are extra special, just like you. They embrace diversity and they thrive in uncertainty. We're looking for makers, doers, those who act out of conviction not fear, those who don't take no for an answer, and those who'd rather try and fail than embrace mediocrity. Join us and be part of a global humanitarian organisation impacting the lives of 9 million people every year?
NRC is on an ambitious Digital Transformation journey to become a leader in the use of data and technology to deliver better. We have already made the move to the cloud but now we are building, extending, and connecting our systems and looking to expand our technical capabilities in these areas.
Global ICT Operations, the unit where this position will be hosted, is responsible for single sign-on, system integrations, managing and hosting applications that are used around the world to make a difference in millions of people’s lives.
To meet our goals, we need to build both our technical capacity and capabilities by adding strong Java, Azure, and API skills.
About the role
The Back-end Software Developer plays a vital role in executing NRC’s digital strategy, particularly on building system integrations which will be mission critical for NRC’s ability to use digital products and data at scale. Some of the roles and responsibilities will include;
- Engage with both technical and business Subject Matter Experts to define requirements, validate assumptions, and test during the development of the assigned project;
- Design, build, test and monitor online systems for the assigned project, which may include the configuration of cloud-based platforms or developing custom pieces of software when needed (coding);
- Maintain and improve legacy (Java) code;
- Prepare technical documentation and specifications on a regular basis;
- Create unit test plans and contribute to functional/UAT test plans as needed;
- Maintain production systems, including integrations, and continuously seek to improve functionality and performance;
- Where needed, communicate and represent NRC with partners, consultants, and technical service providers;
- Provide technical oversight of external consultants’ work that includes software development and assist in handover of these to NRC (to ensure long-term ownership);
- Perform data migration including data preparation, cleaning, and validation;
- Identify and escalate risks and dependencies with developed code and/or other systems (especially related to integration).
As our prospective candidate, you have the following;
- 3 years of relevant experience with IT projects and/or working with start-up;
- Proven experience with large IT projects involving multiple stakeholders;
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related subjects, or demonstrable expertise in the field;
- Demonstrated skills in developing, testing, and maintaining mission-critical production systems;
- Strong Java development skills – with multi-year experience or a proven record of successful Java implementation;
- Python and additional languages are a plus;
- Very skilled in working with REST and SOAP APIs as well as JSON files;
- Demonstrable experience working in Azure with Azure Services as well as on VMs;
- Intermediate knowledge and experience in server and cloud administration;
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Power platform considered a plus;
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker is a strong plus;
- Fundamental skills with version control software (Git in specific);
- Comfortable with user-facing roles such as support and training;
- Able to write sufficient and easy-to-understand technical documentation;
- Familiarity with enterprise information systems in general, and especially CRM and ERP, is desirable.
We can offer
- We can offer a strongly committed, challenging, and international work environment in a well-known humanitarian organisation.
- The position is a full-time, two-year contract with a likelihood of extension;
- The preferred duty station is Oslo, we are also open to considering other NRC offices as a duty station;
- Salary by agreement, good pension, and insurance schemes.
How to apply
Applications have to be in English and submitted through this unified post on the online portal ekum.
NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on all candidates.
All of the following items must be included in the application for it to be reviewed:
- Your portfolio, which can be a file or a link with photos, videos, and/or documents showcasing cool projects you have worked on previously and are most proud of.
- Why you make an exceptional addition to the D Team. Please place this in the "Cover Letter" section, be specific, and keep it brief. We will not measure your motivation by the length of your writing, but by the focus and clarity of your thoughts.
- Important: Your portfolio is what your application will first be evaluated by. We cannot emphasize enough how important it is that you show your best work here.
We strongly believe in diversity for a healthier and more creative environment. Talent exists everywhere and opportunities should be open for women and underrepresented groups at all levels. If you have a passion for building products, please share your talent with the world and send us your application.
For any questions please write to email@example.com with the subject "Ops Team".
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation's values; To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive, and accountable are attitudes and beliefs that shall guide our actions and relationships.