LAC NDC SP/Climate Promise Country Coordinator
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Work samples relevant to pre-assessing the applicant’s experience, such as knowledge products, publications, technical or outreach articles on relevant topics.
Travel: a) UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
b) Include any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions
Annexes to the TOR Programme websites - https://www.ndcs.undp.org/content/ndc-support-programme/en/home.html and https://www.undp.org/climate-promise
The NDC Support Programme (NDC SP) is a global programme housed in the Bureau of Programme and Policy Support (BPPS), Nature, Climate, and Energy (NCE) team under the guidance of the Climate Strategies and Policy team. The NDC SP provides direct financial and technical support to countries on NDC implementation in the context of national development priorities. The programme seeks to enhance the capacities of public- and private-sector actors to deliver on NDC targets through strengthened climate governance; implementation of mitigation actions and mid-century low-emission development strategies; engagement of private sector; and improved investment environments.
The Programme is currently active in 42 countries in a variety of NDC-related work areas including development of NDC implementation plans, strengthening of monitoring systems, and mainstreaming of gender-responsive approaches and is active in five regions. In the Latin American and Caribbean Region programme participants include: Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Peru, and Trinidad and Tobago.
In addition to it’s agreed outputs, the NDC SP served as the catalyst for the 2019 launch of the UNDP Climate Promise – the boldest and most extensive offer to support achievement of the Paris Climate Accord. This Climate Progamme takes the learning and expertise gained through the NDC SP and leverages UNDP’s extensive expertise and capacity around the world covering nowadays up to 118 countries, where 25 countries ain LAC are engaged with UNDP Climate Promise.
The two initiatives work hand and hand to deliver enhanced and ambitious NDCs and Long Term Strategies (LTS) towards 2050 net zero targets and resilient development objectives.
Under the guidance of the NDC SP/Climate Promise management team and the Regional Focal Point in the UNDP Latin America Regional Hub the LAC Regional Country Coordinator will work with country offices in the region as well as the relevant thematic colleagues at the regional hub and HQ to deliver an integrated approach to support for the NDC enhancement implementation.
Institutional Arrangement: The LAC Regional Country Coordinator will report directly to the LAC Regional Technical Advisor Climate Change. S/he will be part of the larger Climate Strategies and Policy Team (CSPT) and NCE in LAC region.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
Country programme support
- Contribute to technical backstopping of the NDC SP Programme and Climate Promiseat the global level, and particularly in the LAC Region, by ensuring the timely and accurate provision of technical advice in coordination with the Regional Team Lead of the LAC Nature Climate and Energy team (NCE) and the Climate Strategy and Policy Team (CSPT).
- Oversee the workplans of several country programmes , ensuring operational oversight and the delivery as well as timely reporting of key results defined in the 2020 national annual work plans and budgets.
- Provide timely and technical support to national teams on key outputs, including governance frameworks, NDC implementation plans, finance strategies and private sector engagement to support the implementation of climate actions;
- Review and provide technical guidance/oversight for quarterly and annual reports from targeted Programme countries
- Ensure Program alignment (NDCSP/Climate Promise) with strategic guidance provided by Director of NCE, Regional Team Lead, Bureau Directors, Deputy Bureau Directors, Executive Office and other Senior Managers in UNDP, other UN agencies and main partners in the region.
- Advise countries on opportunities to leverage the NDC for economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Advise countries on opportunities and linkages with gender-responsive NDC implementation
- Contribute to relevant regional outreach, visibility, and reporting requirements, as required.
Strategic guidance on NDC Programme formulation and delivery
- Provide support and advice to NDC SP country coordinators, as required, particularly on challenges, bottlenecks and quality review of country-level support
- Ensure quality assurance/quality control of country workplans and selected outputs to ensure coherence with the global programme and strategy and opportune budget delivery
- Identify trends and innovative approaches for NDC implementation for further UNDP support
- Contribute to increased impact of the UNDP NDC Programme and Climate Promise by leveraging other internal initiatives such as the Integrated National Financing Framework and the Climate Investment Platform
Coordination and collaboration
- Potentially serve as UNDP’s focal point for selected initiatives of the NDC Partnership in the LAC region
- Provide advice on UNDP positioning within the NDC Partnership and other strategic partnerships
- Establish and encourage synergies/coordinated support between the NDC Support Programme/Climate Promise and other relevant UNDP projects and programmes in LAC region (LAC NCE teams) to ensure coordinated country support and alignment with NCE portfolio within NDC priorities.
- Contribute to inter-agency collaborative mechanisms including the support of the implementation of the joint work plan of the Issue-based Coalition on Climate Change and resilience in LAC
Knowledge management and peer-to-peer learning
- Coordinate peer-to-peer learning among programme countries
- Create knowledge products on NDC enhancement and implementation, as needed
- Contribute to regional and global NDC events and represent UNDP, as required
- Provide technical and strategic insights for the expansion of the NDC Support Programme and the Climate Promise into new workstreams and new countries to respond to increasing demand
- Contribute to relevant regional outreach, visibility, and reporting requirements, as requested by Regional Team Lead and NCE regional strategy
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Min. years of relevant Work experience
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Fluency in English and Spanish is required