ROSTER Logistics Assistant , Fixed Term - G5, (Multiple Location)
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Job Title: Logistic Assistant (ROSTER)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duty station: Addis Ababa. Adama, Assosa, Awassa, Dessie, Dire Dawa, Gambella, Puignido, Mekelle, Shire, Semera, Jijga, Gode, Kebridehar , Dollo Ado
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP is recruiting Logistic Assistant to replenish roasters in its Country Office(COs), Sub Office, and Field Offices. Eligibility to the roster and subsequent eligibility for contracts at the G.4 level will depend on candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the positions, the terms of references of the assignment and the scores achieved in test and interview. The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of processes and activities requiring interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other staff.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Undergraduate degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in a relevant area
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in relevant professional experience in logistics operations, transport, supply chain, warehouse management, database management.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
• Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
To implement well-defined standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and facilitating, directly or indirectly, the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
2. Support timely ordering and delivery of commodities and supplies to authorised partners and destinations.
3. Support management of logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement.
4. Respond to a variety of technical queries/requests for support, following standard processes, and obtaining guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service mind-set.
5. Contribute to budget preparation, monitoring and revision for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards.
6. Assist in monitoring inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary.
7. Assist in management of commodity accounting data quality and integrity.
8. Support operational pipeline analyses, assessments and operational planning for all delivery modalities.
9. Process documentation for execution of logistics operations (e.g. customs clearance, invoice verification), take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues escalating various issues to the supervisor.
10. Collect and compile data, produce and/or contribute to reports (e.g. CCTI, SPRs, financial closure, physical inventory, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems in support to informed decision-making.
11. Liaise with internal and limited number of external stakeholders to support efficient logistics operations management.
12. Provide guidance to other support staff, in order to assist them in completing standard tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.|
|Information Management & Reporting||
Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution||Ability to collect and collate necessary information to enable WFP to make informed operational decisions.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Demonstrates awareness of the importance of technical assistance and coordination with key stakeholders and an ability to carry out logistics activities, respecting individual mandates and programme priorities.|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
• Experience analysing data (on commodities, funds, etc.) and drafting reports.
• Experience in measuring service providers’ performance against set KPIs.
• Experience in assisting the preparation of contract documentation.
• Experience in providing technical business support in corporate systems.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
August 2, 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.