UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work in several key areas: 1) Women’s economic empowerment; 2) Gender-responsive governance and ending violence against women; 3) Broad based advocacy and social norm change through advocacy and communication for development; 4) Strategic partnership and alliance building for GEWE. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific areas.
Media plays a very important role in our daily life. Media helps form our social values. Partnering with private sector organizations, UN Women has been promoting the use of media, especially social media, as a powerful tool to advocate for elimination of violence against women and promote gender equality.
You will be assigned valuable, meaningful work that will make use of your dynamism and creativity. You will gain the following:
- Learn how to package complex information in a business-friendly manner.
- Work in a fast-paced environment and understand the nuances of the UN system. It’s intriguing, it’s challenging, and now you’re in it!
- Develop soft skills and learn how to work with people from varying professional and ethnic backgrounds.
- Actively participate in event planning and implementing, you will gain your knowledge on event organizing and enjoy this process.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Communications Intern, you will provide support to the Communications Officer on developing in-depth and creative information and communication content for social media channels, editorial texts and do translations when needed. Among others, your essential duties and tasks will be:
- Provide support to UN Women China communications work.
- Researching and assisting in the development of the content (text, photo, video) for UN Women China social media channels under the supervision of the Communications Officer.
- Support the development and dissemination of materials for advocacy and awareness-raising.
- Collection of information on the results of communication activities, including statistics and media reports.
- Provide translations and other administrative support to UN Women China office when needed.
· Respect for Diversity
· Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
· Creative Problem Solving
· Effective Communication
· Inclusive Collaboration
· Stakeholder Engagement
· Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
· Background and relevant experience in communication and media; knowledge and experience of using/editing public social media platform is a must.
· Competent user of design software such as Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and InDesign is preferred.
· Knowledge, awareness, and sensitivity regarding gender issues.
· Good translation and writing skills in Chinese and English.
· Communicative and creative personality & good team player.
Required Skills and Experience
The Intern should meet the following qualifications:
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: communications, public relations, social science, or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (writing, speaking, reading, and listening) in Chinese and English are required.
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an electronic application. Please kindly note that the system will only allow ONE attachment, and only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
The Submission package includes:
- Updated CV
- Cover Letter
- Please attach your sample work such as articles of your production, videos, or graphic-design related tasks together with your CV and Cover letter.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality, and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.