Electromechanical Technical Engineer (TE-MSC-SMT-2021-87-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of
CERN largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
You will join the Superconducting Magnet Technology (SMT) Section, part of the Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) Group within the Technology (TE) Department. The Section has the mandate to develop innovative superconducting electromagnets (so-called magnets) for ongoing LHC upgrades and future accelerators along with the development of associated technology and engineering processes. SMT is also responsible for the superconducting magnet insulation development and provides CERN-wide support for polymer technologies and rapid prototyping.
As an Electromechanical Technical Engineer in the SMT Section, you will:
- Participate to the fabrication of superconducting magnets from coil construction to magnet assembly and quality control.
- Play a key role in the technical management of a multidisciplinary team.
- Take in charge the maintenance of electromechanical infrastructure and systems in the SMT section.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical or mechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience in electromechanical equipment construction and maintenance
- Experience in mechanical or electrical quality control
- Initial Experience in workshop coordination
- Assembly of mechanical structures and equipment
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation
- Design of electromechanical systems
- Operation and maintenance of electromechanical equipment and systems
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: brazing and soldering
- Working in Teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change
- Solving Problems: seeking and integrating other points of view when tackling an issue; consulting experts in the field and undertaking benchmarking
- Building Relationships: understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities Showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others
- Demonstrating Accountability: using openness and honesty to interact constructively with others Presenting information accurately and objectively Standing up for own opinion and actions with well substantiated arguments
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts, or the undertaking to acquire rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.08.2021
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: TE-MSC-SMT-2021-87-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technical Engineer