Business & Enterprise Development Manager - RE:BUILD Project (readvertised)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), refugees and various institutions in the country, notably the government, community-based organizations (CBOs), civil society organizations (CBOs) and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health and nutrition, support to persons with specific needs (PSNs) including case management, legal assistance to refugees, prevention and response to gender-based violence, and economic recovery and development (ERD). The IRC has a country office in Kampala and field offices in Imvepi, Kyegegwa, Lamwo, Moroto and Yumbe, as well as an urban office in Naguru Vale within Kampala.
Job Overview and Summary
The IRC is implementing and Boosting Urban Innovations for Livelihoods Development (RE:BUILD) program funded by IKEA Foundation for the Refugees in East Africa. The 5 years project is being implemented in both Kampala and Nairobi. The IRC is the Lead Partner and is coordinating a consortium of local and international partners to deliver the program. RE:BUILD seeks to achieve economic self-reliance and benefit from strengthened urban economic, regulatory and social environments for urban refugees and vulnerable host residents. RE:BUILD aims to enable change at varying levels, from better access to livelihoods opportunities and inclusive services within communities to improved refugee-related policies and more targeted and effective service delivery from national, regional and global actors.
Scope of work
The IRC is seeking a Business & Enterprise Development Manager to be based in Kampala, Uganda. S/he will be responsible for providing business development services for businesses, enterprise selection and development, overall management of private sector partnerships and stakeholder engagement and relationship management. S/he directly reports to the RE:BUILD Project Manager.
Duties and responsibilities
- Liaise and collaborate with KCCA, banks, CBOs, refugee-led organizations (RLOs), business incubation centers, mentors, training institutions, private sector and other project partners for smooth implementation of the project.
- Develop and sustain relationships with private and public enterprises and associations, NGOs, and bilateral and multilateral organizations that offer employment and/or support self-employment of refugees and vulnerable individuals in Kampala.
- Develop and sustain relationships with financial institutions that provide or could arrange financial products for refugees, vulnerable individuals and/ or their groups.
- Participate and advise on enterprise and business selection, provide insight into product development and competitive positioning of businesses.
- Work with the M&E and research team to conduct market research to identify new business and market opportunities.
- Develop proposals for existing and new businesses to reduce their costs, improve their profitability and design strategies for business growth.
- Assist RE:BUILD beneficiaries who are entrepreneurs look for formal and informal markets for their products and services as well source for appropriate and affordable inputs for their businesses
- Provide coaching and training to staff and clients.
- Provide financial literacy and business development trainings.
- Develop and submit monthly work plans to RE:BUILD Project Manager for review.
- Ensure that the monthly work plans are cognizant of the project work plan, indicator tracking sheet and spending plan
- Ensure all project activities under her/his control are completed within agreed timelines and ensure anticipated delays are communicated in time.
- Effectively track all program procurements for her/his team ensuring advance requisition are done and submitted to the supply chain department in time to avoid implementation delays.
- Participate in monthly review spending plan meetings led by the Project Manager or ERD Coordinator where need be.
- Participate in budget realignment discussions where necessary.
- Review activity specific budgets for his/her team for example trainings and ensure there is value for money.
Human resources administration and management
- Participate in the recruitment and orientation of new officers.
- Cultivate spirit of cohesion, teamwork, professionalism and mutual respect amongst Re:BUILD team members.
Coordination and representation
- Conduct courtesy visits to the offices of OPM, KCCA, Kampala City Divisions’ Chairpersons, ILO, UNCHR, WFP, other NGOs and collaborating partners.
- Attend Steering Review Group (SRG) meetings and ensure that the written summary report to be presented is reviewed by the RE:BUILD Project Manager two days prior to the meeting and also ensure documentation and share key issues from the meeting with the Project Manager on the same day of meeting.
- Collaborate effectively with other RE: BUILD departments and IRCs sectors and departments while receiving and providing technical assistance when needed.