Driver (Resident Coordinator's Office)
Freetown (Sierra Leone)
Under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative Assistant/ Fleet management Assistant/ Strategic Planning Ad., RCO Team Leader, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the Unit/Project ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Upon request of the supervisor, the Driver can also be required to provide driving services to other units and entities within UNDP, partner Agencies, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
1. Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of Resident Coordinator, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Impact of Key Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the Unit/ Project services.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- 2-3 years’ proven work experience as a driver preferably in the UNCS, other international NGOs and organizations.
- Safe/clean driving record
- knowledge in driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Minimum visual acuity of 20/50 (or corrected to 20/50)
- Knowledge driving in Freetown areas and the provinces
- Good communication skills with ability to speak and read in English. Fluency in Krio
- knowledge of another UN language is an advantage but not a requirement.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply care when submitting personal information on the web.
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
THIS POSITION IS STRICLY FOR SIERRA LEONE NATIONALS AND ONLY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED ONLINE WILL BE CONSIDERED