Evaluation Expert – Final Evaluation of the IDLO project "Fighting Trafficking in Persons in Liberia
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The purpose of the final evaluation is to assess the project “Fighting Trafficking in Persons in Liberia” against the stated objectives as of August 2021. Within this framework, the evaluation will:
- Provide an independent assessment of the project to measure the extent to which the expected results have been achieved so far in quantity and quality as well as usefulness and timeliness. The evaluation will be conducted at both activity and output levels providing insights towards outcomes and impact prospects, where possible.
- Identify relevant lessons learned with a view to informing the design and implementation of future projects and programs in Liberia.
The incumbent will report to the Evaluation Unit and Officer in Charge, IDLO Branch Office in The Hague, and under the day-to-day supervision of the Evaluation Specialist. The incumbent will be expected to carry out the following key duties in line with the detailed evaluation Terms of Reference (Link):
- Conduct an in-depth desk review of project documents and reports; administrative records related to the various activities; project progress reports; and M&E data and reports.
- Reconstruct the project’s ToC and develop the EQs and Indicators;
- Identify methodological approaches and tools to capture data, in-line with the expected evaluation results;
- Organize and manage data;
- Set up and conduct key informant interviews and focus group discussions.
The incumbent will undertake the in-depth analytical work to produce Inception Note and Evaluation Report in all draft and final versions. In particular, the incumbent will prepare the following deliverables:
- An Inception Note (presenting the situational background, the evaluation design, and the list of key informants in the field)
- A draft Evaluation Report (presenting the evaluation findings, conclusions/lessons learned, and recommendations where the “causal link” is strictly observed)
- Finalized Evaluation Report, incorporating feedback from all relevant project stakeholders.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Advanced university degree in Evaluation, Health, Social Sciences, International Development, Law, or related field.
- Over 7 years of relevant professional experience in conducting results-oriented evaluations of international development projects and programs and/or in complex/strategic assessments, focused on capacity-building in the fields of good governance and rule of law;
- Professional experience with project cycle management, OECD DAC evaluation framework, logical framework approaches, and with quality assurance within international development evaluations;
- Experience with working in fragile/transition countries and knowledge/experience of capacity building and institutional development programs will be considered an asset.
- An understanding of the Liberian legal context and the response mechanism in place to address Trafficking in Persons would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of evaluation methodology for development assistance projects and programs with specific experience in evaluation methods and tools (including theory-of-change based evaluations);
- Sound knowledge of the OECD DAC evaluation standards and criteria;
- Sound knowledge of developing qualitative and quantitative (proxy) indicators;
- Relevant experience with survey techniques focus groups and other participatory methods;
- Strong knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection methods;
- Strong analytical, writing, and editing skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The consultancy is expected to start in August 2021. The inception note is expected by early September 2021, and the draft evaluation report is expected tentatively by mid-November 2021. This is a results-based assignment where payments are made upon satisfactory production of evaluation deliverables. The estimated number of workdays for the assignment is 35 workdays for the Evaluation Expert. This includes 10 working days for the data collection field mission in Liberia.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Consultant. This is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or to cancel the consultancy to meet business and organizational needs, as necessary.
Application deadline is 8th August 2021 (23.59 Hrs. Rome time)