Editor for UNDP Uganda Publications and Reports on a Long Term Agreement
Over the last 40 years, UNDP Uganda has implemented development programmes in support of Government development efforts focusing on the elimination of poverty, reduction of inequalities and exclusion, promoting effective governance, national resource management and access to energy, addressing environmental degradation, climate change and disaster risk reduction through linking local insight and global perspectives.
In 2020, UNDP unveiled a new five-year Country Programme Document (CPD) for Uganda 2021-2025 anchored in inclusive and sustainable solutions to Uganda’s development challenges. The CPD is aligned to Uganda’s third National Development Plan (NDP III) 2021-2025 and the Uganda long-term vision 2040. This alignment enables UNDP to contribute to national development efforts and to support the Government of Uganda to achieve the 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization working with the Government of Uganda to achieve sustainable development, and the partner of choice for development knowledge sharing, building and strengthening national capacities. Working alongside government, development partners, the private sector, civil society, traditional leaders and academic institutions, UNDP’s commitment to Uganda continues to be to empower lives and build a resilient nation.
The Country Programme Document (CPD) for Uganda 2021-2025 outlines UNDP’s programme priorities through the coming five-year period. Successful implementation of the CPD depends in part on these priorities being communicated and reinforced with key audiences. These priorities include:
- Inclusive and Sustainable Growth
UNDP promotes structural transformation in view of the opportunities presented by the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), advancing competitiveness in the manufacturing sector while building robust and integrated value chains in the agriculture, tourism and mining sectors with a focus on integrating local economic actors, micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs), youth, women and other vulnerable groups.
- Sustainable Management of Natural Resources and Resilient Development
UNDP is working to strengthen sustainable land management and restoration of degraded forest and wetland ecosystems. Integral to these efforts will be the continued restoration of ecosystems in refugee settlements and host communities, institutional capacity development in natural resource governance, and deeper citizen participation in environmental management and community resilience.
- Transformational and Inclusive Governance
UNDP supports the building and strengthening of governance infrastructure in the public and private sectors, institutionalizing e-governance systems in the public sector at national and sub-national levels while facilitating integration and effective delivery of services within the private sector
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of its documentation and communication function, UNDP produces knowledge products such as reports and publications, policy briefs, brochures, factsheets, project documents, blogs, and articles on an ongoing basis. As part of the quality assurance function, UNDP needs the services of editors to edit wide-ranging knowledge products, information, education, and communication materials from time to time. Successful candidates will be put on a long-term agreement and engaged from time to time.
Successful candidates will execute or deliver the following tasks.
- Copyedit and proofread draft reports and produce error-free and professionally edited versions, fully aligned to UNDP editorial and style manuals ready to be designed or disseminated;
- The editing process of the above reports might entail substantive re-drafting and synthesis of parts of the existing text in order to make the reports and knowledge products more compelling, readable, and understandable to non-expert audiences;
- In addition to performing the tasks of copy editing, the editor takes an active role in initiating changes, re-writing sections. Sentences will be polished and reworded to improve clarity and flow and to get rid of repetition, clumsy wording, and convoluted sentence structure. Facts are checked and corrected, sections may be re-arranged if necessary, and subheads, preambles, and chapter titles might be reworked or introduced by the editor. The editor may make suggestions to remedy issues the author might have overlooked in order to clarify messaging, ensure the text conveys facts, not personal theories; remove jargon, etc;
- The editor will correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and problems with syntax and accuracy and will make style decisions based on the UNDP Editorial and Style Manual (can be downloaded here). This is to ensure consistency in all UNDP knowledge products.
Editors will be expected to submit two reports as follows;
- One copy with all the tracked changes and suggestions to improve if any;
- A clean copy after accepting all the suggested changes initiated by the editor;
Other deliverables may be required at the time of actual engagement.
Applicants are reviewed based on the required skills and experience stated below and based on the technical evaluation criteria outlined below. Applicants will be evaluated based on cumulative scoring. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Being responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation where technical criteria weigh 70% and Financial criteria/ Proposal weigh 30%.
Technical evaluation - Total 70%:
Criteria 1. Demonstrable experience with writing, editing, and handling print and web production. Maximum Points: 30 points;
Criteria 2. Prior experience with reputable international development/ nonprofit annual reports and related research/production. Maximum Points: 10 points;
Criteria 3. Quality of writing, editing/ samples of previous reports edited. Maximum points (10 Points).
Criteria 4. Demonstrable experience editing and organizing photography and writing compelling captions Maximum Points: 10 points; and
Criteria 5. Experience with a wide range of content creation, particularly including well-written reports, feature stories, articles, blogs and profiles. Maximum points: (10 Points)
Financial evaluation - Total 30%
- The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
- p = y (µ/z), where
- p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
- y = maximum number of points for the financial proposal
- µ = price of the lowest-priced proposal
- z = price of the proposal being evaluated
The application package containing the following (to be uploaded as one file):
- Online application with a brief description of why the Offer considers her/himself the most suitable for the assignment; and
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects and specifying the relevant assignment period (from/to), as well as the email and telephone contacts of at least three (3) professional references.
- writing and editing and editing samples (Provide only URL links of published documents)
Note: The above documents need to be scanned in one file and uploaded to the online application as one document.
Only shortlisted candidates will be requested to submit a Financial Proposal.
The proposed Long Term Agreement is non-exclusive, meaning it does not prohibit UNDP from entering into another Long Term Agreement with another individual or entity. Financial commitments will only be established each time services are requested under the contract, through a UNDP Authorized Purchase Order together with specific Terms of Reference to signal the commencement of a given engagement.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of BA in writing, language and linguistics, communications, journalism, international relations, or related fields.
Years of experience:
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in editing, writing, proofreading, including significant experience with print publications;
- Experience editing and organizing photography and writing captions;
- Extensive experience working closely with designers to execute layouts (required);
- Knowledge and experience overseeing the creation of information graphics/data visualizations.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required;