Health and Nutrition MEAL Manager Readvertisement
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is seeking dynamic, analytical, and highly motivated individuals for the position of Senior H & N/WASH MEAL Manager for IRC’s office in Addis Ababa. The ideal candidate has worked for an (I)NGO in the programs department (e.g. design, management, monitoring) and has concrete experience with monitoring and evaluation, and tracking systems and processes, especially in WASH.
The IRC is implementing multiple grants funded mainly by ECHO, EU, UNHCR, USAID, UNICEF, and others hence the position will undertake the Monitoring, Evaluation, accountability and learning actions under these grants. Additionally, the MEAL Manager contributes to the overall program quality through the coordination, and implementation of enhanced monitoring and evaluation, accountability, and learning strategies; the emphasis is on streamlining processes and tools for efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability throughout the project cycle across the IRC’s various sectors and grants. The MEAL Manager will fully utilize and work in line with IRC’s guidelines such as Monitoring for Action, the Indicator Selection Tool, Outcome and Evidence Framework and the Client Responsiveness strategy.
The position is based in Addis Ababa with 50% travel to the field sites for assistance, support and monitoring of program activities.
- The Health and Nutrition MEAL Manager is expected to:
- Lead all aspects of the grant performance indicators of the H & N program to ensure the program is implemented according to agreed grant indicators and targets, and satisfaction of clients and donors.
- Conduct regular monitoring of physical progress of activities and internal evaluations through annual KPC, base and end-line surveys, amongst others,
- Review performance indicators in proposals development and concept notes in coordination with the H & N team, and Grants team.
- Monitor – and ensure H & N staff have the capacity and understand tools and timelines Provide H & N coordinator with the resources and support need to effectively advise field teams, and to identify mistakes and initiate the required corrective actions.
- Regularly assess progress across the H & N program and flag delays through H & N staff deployments, resource mobilization, and performance management mechanisms, engaging other departments and the senior management team as appropriate.
- Accurately collect, clean and compile routine M&E data to report progress towards project objectives and other assessments as outlined in the M&E plan. Data will be collected on project outcomes and outputs, using developed monitoring tools and digital data collection KOBO software.
- Ensure that beneficiary feedback for all projects is adequately captured, analyzed, and responded to by program teams in line with IRC’s Client Responsiveness initiative.
- Work with IRC MEAL Coordinator, as well as information and communication technology (ICT) staff at HQ or in the regional office on the use of technology for improving M&E systems.
- Capture Learning, document and disseminate internally and externally in collaboration with the H & N Coordinator and MEAL Coordinator and participate in learning events as relevant.
- Lead evaluation efforts such as emergency real-time evaluations, internal end-of-project evaluations, impact studies, case studies as needed.
- Together with the MEAL Coordinator, facilitate quarterly and annual data reviews and reflection sessions as specified in the M&E frameworks to track progress and agree on corrective action together with the program team.
- Coordinate and conduct capacity building for different project staff and partner organizations where appropriate on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning to improve knowledge and skills in project cycle management. Trainings will be based on training needs assessments and these may include needs assessments, qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection, data analysis, presentation and interpretation of data and reporting
- Conduct regular visits to field sites to provide oversight, coaching and mentoring for project staff and making sure that the set standards and procedures are implemented effectively and meet the highest quality standards.
Leadership roles and working relationships
Reporting line: Position reports to H & N coordinator and MEAL coordinator (Management in Partnership)
Staff Management: Not directly managing staff but collaborating with the H & N and MEAL team in Addis Ababa as well as in the field.
External working relationships
Externally, Partners, government ministries/agencies, clusters Leads and other engaged in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning.