HMA Officer (Quality Management)
DDG HUMANITARIAN MINE ACTION
HMA Officer (Quality Management) – UKRAINE, Sievierodonetsk
The Danish Refugee Council and the Danish Demining Group (DRC-DDG), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently seeking a highly qualified and motivated HMA Officer (QM) for its growing Humanitarian Mine Action portfolio. We appreciate devotion and team building, and we welcome you to join our efforts in building capacities that will support humanitarian disarmament and peace building.
About the job
The HMA Officer (QM) has the primary function of supporting the DDG HMA Advisor (Quality Management and Training Specialist - QMTS) with a view to developing his/her skills over a period of time to eventually nationalise this position. The main responsibilities are assisting QMTS with conducting technical courses for all field staff and developing and maintaining a Quality Management System within humanitarian demining operations, under the guidance of the QMTS.
He/she will be responsible for assisting with the direct quality management of a number of demining, BAC and NTS teams within the organization, which spans a wide area of operations, thus DRC is seeking a person that displays a positive approach to his/her work, and is of a determined and dedicated character.
The HMA Officer (QM) reports directly to the Technical Field Manager and has a technical line to DDG HMA Advisor/ QMTS.
The HMA Officer (QM) will be primarily based in Sievierodonetsk, Eastern Ukraine but is expected to travel and reside in other regions, mainly to areas where DRC-DDG demining & BAC teams operate, to the national training centers and to Kyiv where DRC-DDG country office is located.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the development and application a suitable Quality Management System (QMS) of demining activities including technical and non-technical surveys under the supervision of the QMTS;
- Conduct Internal QA/QC inspections and make recommendations for improvement of quality, safety and operational efficiency across all operational activities;
- Evaluate and make recommendation for improvements to all SOPs, TMPs & NTSGs under the supervision of the QMTS;
- Monitoring quality of demining, BAC and NTS activities and reporting findings, trends and recommendations for improvements to the QMTS;
- Assess needs for training of the National Staff and to assist the QMTS on all technical training courses required within the scope of operations. These include but are not limited to Manual Deminer, BAC, EOD, EO recognition and NTS training courses;
- Ensure refresher training requirements are met;
- Develop and maintain an accurate and comprehensive training record for all personnel.
HMA Officer (Quality Management) directly reports to the Technical Field Manager.
- Knowledge of and practical experience with a range of hand-held detectors, such as the Minelab F3, Ebinger UPEX 740M, & SC100
- Minimum IMAS EOD Level III certification, or equivalent from an Internationally recognised technical school (Military or Civilian) or HMA organisation
- Proven experience in designing and delivering technical training and capacity development of staff is desirable
- Experience in HMA Quality Management roles would be considered advantageous
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Ukraine/Russian
- A high degree of computer literacy in all MS Office programs is required.
- Capacity to work independently
- Resolution and integrity
- A positive and problem-solving attitude and ability to accomplish objectives in spite of a challenging political and insecure environment
- Innovative and creative thinking with strong analytical and reporting skills
- Political and cultural sensitivity, as well as a diplomatic, tactful, and flexible interpersonal style
- Ability to exude calmness and patience in high stress situations
- Proven ability to function well in a potentially volatile and sometimes stressful environment
- Medically and physically fit for duty in austere environments
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract: 1st September 2021 until June 2022 (after 3 months of probation period) with strong possibility of an extension, depending on funding and performance.
Salary at Band H non-managerial and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff including DDG allowance;
Duty station: Sievierodonetsk
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Start date: 1st September 2021
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website http://www.danishdemininggroup.dk/ and http://www.drc.dk/.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV and cover letter, in English will be considered.
Applicants must submit high resolution copies of their EOD certification (in English) and syllabus for each course/certificate, which should clearly support EOD Level III.
Do not apply if you do not have the necessary experience and qualifications. Applicants whom do not supply the requested documentation will not be considered.
All qualifications/certification submitted will be screened.
IMPORTANT: We only accept applications sent via our on-line system at www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications sent directly by email will not be considered.
Applications are to be sent to no later than 22:00hours (GMT) 5th August 2021.