Staff Safety and Liaison Officer Ethiopia Jigjiga
Position: Staff Safety & Liaison Officer
Reports to: Jigjiga Area Manager
Supervision of: N/A
Duty station: Jigjiga Ethiopia, with travel to NRC Dollo Ado Area Office, and other Zones & Woredas in the Somali region
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The following is a brief description of the role.
- In consultation with the Area Managers of Jigjiga and Dollo Ado, maintain NRC’s relationship with key government institutions, this includes attending key bilateral and coordination meetings.
- Advice senior management of NRC Jigjiga and Dollo Ado on government relations and facilitate meetings and appointments as appropriate
- Facilitate NRC compliance with required government registration, permits and approvals, and maintain a filing system (online and hardcopy as required)
- Facilitate programme related contracts and agreements with government institutions and Ethiopia based organisations, and maintain a filing system (online and hardcopy as required)
- Participate in regional and zone level meetings called by Government offices and represent NRC on those meetings.
- Implement NRC’s safety and security policies at field level;
- Conduct regular security and risk assessments to identify safety and security needs;
- Train staff in safety and security and provide regular briefings and updates;
- Immediately report all breaches of safety and security procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets;
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available in the right place and in good condition;
- Prepare security updates and reports as required;
- Contribute to the development and facilitate the process of finalising all tripartite agreements (LoUs, MoUs) and maintaining an updated archive (soft copy & hard copy) of these agreements
- Follow up of the status of submitted draft LoUs, MoUs with line bureaus in Somali Region and ensure on time response is given for any comments from the government offices
- Produce regular weekly written reports on the security situation in the field offices based on the current information available from other agencies, NRC sub offices, media and other sources. Monitor local and national news (radio, television and print) and translate appropriate information in daily updates. Inform SRMC and AM on issues that may have an effect on NRC security in the region and advise on precautionary measures;
- Liaise with NRC hired guard service including duty rosters, leaves, payment, scope of work etc.
- Ensure incident reporting is conducted as necessary. Includes completion of online incident report form, informing necessary actors and maintaining incident report file, as per NRC format;
- Coordinate with NRC management team in tracking national staff movements in the field. Establish a communication system with field staff when/where necessary. Advise on travel restrictions or precautionary measures, as required;
- Contribute to NRC strategic and programmatic planning including development of government relations;
- Update area managers with new legislations or proclamations of the Somali Region which has a direct and indirect effect to INGOs
- Coordinate and joint planning with monitoring team from Zone & Region of BoFED, DPP, sector bureaus and offices
- Regular Report submission to clusters and representing NRC in Cluster meeting at region level
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- At least 3 years of experience within NGO’s of liaison or security work
- Bachelor degree or equivalent
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluent speaker of Somali language
- Some knowledge of English
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Extensive knowledge of Ethiopian administration systems, in particular the requirements of the Somali Region Government’s rules and regulations
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping with change
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Working with people
- Managing performance and development