WASH Coordinator Ethiopia Jigjiga
Job Title: WASH Project Coordinator/Infrastructure Engineer (National Position)
Reporting to: WASH Project Manager
Job Based at: Jigjiga with travel to the fields
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia WASH Project Coordinator is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WaSH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The WASH Project Coordinator is responsible for coordination of the NRC WASH projects within the Somali region of Ethiopia.
- Line management of WASH project field staff;
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to WASH strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps;
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from WASH PM, and AM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality;
- Provide regular progress reports to WASH PM;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and implement NRC WaSH activities (Public Health Engineering, Public Health Promotion, and Construction) in the Somali Region of Ethiopia.
- Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation considers needs and vulnerabilities in the Somali Region of Ethiopia
- Ensure that the WaSH programme design is informed by and integrated with NRCs’ other priority sectors of ICLA, Livelihood and Food Security (LFS), Education and Protection.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WaSH programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Contribute to learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH through case studies and documentation.
Qualifications and Competences:
- Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Hydrology;
- 5 years’ experience from working as a WASH Coordinator or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO;
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware);
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice;
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results