Panama (United States of America)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Chief of Business Solutions & Operations, the Administrative Associate supports the overall management and control of the Regional Hub premises and facilities, administers room assignments, coordinates the cleaning and maintenance; administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the building management, Programme and Operations Teams in the Regional Hub, HQ, other UN agencies staff, Government Officials and suppliers to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensures implementation of operational strategies
- Full compliance of administrative management ensuring that proper premises management is performed in adherence to UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies and that procedures are complied with at Regional Hub units.
- Provision of inputs to the Regional Hub administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
2) Ensures proper administration of premises
- Supports the management of office space including acquisition and maintenance of office equipment and supplies.
- Monitoring of routine interventions on technical installations including heating, ventilation and air-condition (HVAC) systems, lifts, fire equipment, sanitary pumps, and electrics, in consultation with building management.
- Management of a range of facility maintenance services including office space planning, asset inventory and disposals, security, and waste management.
- In consultation with Regional Hub management and coordination with BMS, makes recommendations on all aspects of the building services functions including implement plans, liaises with contractors, for preventive maintenance and upgrade of office premises.
- Implement and monitor activities recommended by the greening specialist or required by LEED certification.
- Management of requests of other UN agencies to use any of the facilities of the Regional Hub.
- Liaison between the Regional Hub management and government bodies for compliance and adherence to local regulations on environment, work prevention and health & safety standards.
3) Provides support to the proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordination of assets management in the Regional Hub, timely preparation, and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies.
4) Provides support for effective administrative and financial control in the office
- Provision of inputs in the planning and preparation of the Regional Hub management budget, in particular related to office space, furniture and supplies requirements.
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Review, verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources for administrative services
- Establishment of criteria for pro-ration of the Regional Hub Units and Agencies contributions to the common services account, preparation and modifications of the common services budget and follow up on timely recovery of payments.
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided, elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Coordination and supervision of shipments and customs clearance, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, space management, procurement of supplies.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authorities, on space and other administrative matters.
5) Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Regional Hub:
- Briefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
6) Coordinates implementation of e-Registry and Receptionist functions, supervises Receptionist, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of efficient general reception and information services.
- Provision of reliable e-registry services.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 3: Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 3: Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 3: Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 3: Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
Technical/Functional Competences - Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work:
- Knowledge Management - Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Results-based Management - Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Communication - Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Office Administration - Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs.
- Team building - Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
- Training - Ability to ascertain need, plan, design, and execute training.
- Operational Efficiency - Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Administration; Or
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration would be an advantage.
- Secondary education with 6 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- University degree with 3 years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge of automated procurement systems
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS desirable.
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both oral and written, is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN official language is an asset.
Other: Describe any additional qualifications:
- UNDP Procurement Certification Programme would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
***This Posting is open just for Panamanian citizens or foreign persons with permanent residence and a valid work permit.***
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.