Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information - Ghana Multi Country Office (GHMCO)
UNOPS Ghana Multi Country Office (GMCO), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia,Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
The core functions of the Operational Hub are to:
● Liaise and develop engagements, and deliver services responding to partner needs.
● Leverage advice and integrate delivery modalities of the three Delivery Practices and the Global
Partner Service Office.
● Maintain appropriate arrangements and capacity for direct transactional support for delivery of the
Background Information - Liberia UNOPS has been present in Liberia for more than 15years delivering a regular and wide variety of projects covering numerous sectors including Health, Governance, Security, among others.
Building on our global experience successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners.
Likewise, the unanticipated COVID-19 pandemic has further impared the already fragile health system. The capacity of the entire country's health system to address the possible impact of the pandemic remains limited. Critical resources such as trained health workers and medical supplies are being diverted to respond to the pandemic, thus leaving other essential services heavily under-resourced and in need of urgent reinforcement.
Our objective for 2021 is to consolidate the implementation of our Strategy 2018-2021 - to become Known, Recognized and a Resource for our development partners on the ground, delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is looking for an experienced Project Manager to work with our team in our Nigeria Country Office to deliver a project to Strengthen the health system of conflict- affected and hard-to-reach areas of Borno State.
If you have experience leading teams, are excited to expand our sustainable project management
initiatives, are great at facilitating technical teams to develop specifications, are always ready to get hands on with the work and can lead partners through best practice in Project Management with Prince 2 certification, then this is your opportunity.
Background Information - Job Specific
The Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. Project Manager acts on behalf of the Project Board to manage the project on an ongoing basis during the Implementation Stage. The main responsibility of a Project Manager is to ensure that the project outputs are delivered within the specified project tolerances of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. He/she is expected to meet the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
Project Manager has the authority to assign, as per the Project Plan, work packages to Team Managers and approve deliverables produced by them.
Project Manager is responsible for creating the Implementation Plan, using the Project Initiation Document (PID), Legal Agreement and having a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders, to ensure the project(s) outputs are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the partner(s). Success of the project(s) and hence of the Project Manager will be based on the defined Success Criteria.
Summary of functions:
1. Project Delivery and Performance
3. Monitoring and Reporting
4. Stakeholder Engagement
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management , Finance, Economics, Supply Chain, Engineering Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies or other relevant discipline is required
- A Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree
- A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted
B. Work Experience
- A minimum of 5 years' working experience on implementing complex projects/programmes in implementing and delivering projects for international organizations within the development sector is required
- Experience in quality assurance methodologies and risk management for implementation projects. is required
- Experience working on projects with infrastructure products is required
- Demonstrated experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams is required
- Experience implement international norms in Health and Safety is required
- Previous experience working with UNOPS in managing similar projects is an asset
- Procurement experience with exposure to public procurement processes and experience in assessing critical linkages between procurement and business functions is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures is an advantage
- Demonstrated experience working with Government MDAs on donor funded projects is an asset
- Full working knowledge of English is required
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Certification: Certification in Project Management (PRINCE2, PMI or equivalent) is an asset
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 10/ ICS 10
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance'.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- Monrovia is a family duty station
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information - AFR
Africa RegionBased in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Africa Region supports UNOPS country offices in the region, providing financial oversight of projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
AFR helps ensure that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between projects across the entire region.