Engineering Specialist (non-key expert) - 2 positions, duty stations in Kramatorsk and Severodonetsk
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement modality (N-PSA 8); the UNDP Service Contract modality is phasing out over the coming year. More information about the N-PSA is available here.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Engineering Specialist (key expert), as well as overall supervision of the Project Manager (EIB Technical Assistance Project/Team Leader), the Engineering Specialist (non-key expert) will provide assistance in technical support on various aspects of engineering and related technical issues to regional and local government clients:
- Support regions and final beneficiaries (municipalities, other public bodies) to fine-tune needs assessment, establish priorities and identify specific early recovery projects, and defining plans for renovation;
- Under Engineering Specialist’s (key-expert) guidance establish an infrastructure reconstruction plan in close cooperation with the local authorities and local business;
- Review, check and appraise the engineering design, cost estimates and drawings of social and economic infrastructure facilities which will be prepared by qualified and competitive local engineering design companies;
- Ensure adherence to selected direct administration procedures and verify compliance with standard costs;
- Ensure control for carrying on construct/renovation of social and economic infrastructure facilities such as energy and water supply system, road, bridge and transportation system, supply chain, equipment and other production capacity in targeted areas;
- Contribute to preparation guidelines for implementation of supported projects;
- Provide advisory support to final beneficiaries and assess adequacy of operations;
- Ensure identification and screening of community-based projects, provision of support to local communities for the preparation of related documentation, collaborate with local authorities in view of projects’ implementation
- Collaborate with the Programme Implementation Unit (PIU) and PIU consultants in:
- identifying unit costs and standard costs for typical and concrete sub-projects, and assess for each sub-project any cost deviations;
- assessing for each sub-project any indicators of acquisition of sub-standard services and/or sub-standard equipment that could indicate mal-practices, promptly informing the Engineering Speciliast (key expert) and Project Manager (EIB-Technical Assistance Project )/Team Leader.
- Ensure efficient and effective delivery of the Project activities:
- contribute to preparation of Project implementation plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the activities;
- contribute to preparation of supporting documents in line with Project objectives and tasks;
- liaise with respective governmental organizations to ensure the component activities are implemented in a timely and efficient manner;
- ensure coordination/partnership with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national level and regional level for mutually reinforcing impact;
- take measures to prevent and eliminate defects and make propositions on optimization;
- provide project monitoring through regular visits to the project sites, reviewing implementation progress against agreed plans and milestones;
- maintain close liaison with regional and local project partners, ensuring optimum participation and promoting ownership of authorities in the implementation of the Project;
- ensure handover of the renovated infrastructure to the relevant authorities for operation and maintenance;
- participate in relevant working group meetings and share information with partners and UN agencies;
- contribute to preparation and implementation of the Project communications strategy and plan;
- Prepare sections of the project reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Review norms and normatives, certification and other requirements (esp., environmental, energy efficiency) and provide technical advice in case selected projects require permissions and construction certificates, other permitting documentation, as required;
- Contribute to the preparation of manuals and instructions/procedures documents for rayon-, city- and/or oblast authorities to follow, in support for implementation of the the EIB Technical Assistance Project (TA) under Component 1 of the RPP ;
- Ensure preparation of necessary technical documentation;
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender equality considerations in the field of expertise, promotion of a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour, and gender-responsive communications based on corporate principles;
- Perform other activities as requested by the Engineering Specialist (key-expert)
- Full and appropriate implementation of the TA Project Activities using UNDP Financial Operational Policies and Procedures and UNDP Standard Operating Procedures.
- Reporting, quality monitoring and closure activities completed.
- Annual work plan for the TA is fully and timely implemented;
- Funds delivery for TA within RPP reached 100%;
- RPP operational requirements are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- People Management
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Conflict Management
- Result orientation
- Self –management and emotional intelligence
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Client Orientation:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Gender mainstreaming:
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues and ability to apply it to strategic and/or practical situations, e.g. integrating into the project/programme cycle, including design, planning, and implementation
- Ability to manage project for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable annual work plans; and prepare reports in a timely manner
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and contacts within government authorities and CSO’s community and within UNDP
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment
- Good coordination and facilitation skills
- Excellent knowledge of regulations and requirements in the field of design, construction, natural environment protection, safety protection and fire safety
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering and modern construction technology
- Excellent knowledge of technical specifications and performance schedules of construction and installation works
- Knowledge of procedures for acceptance of completed construction facilities, quality control procedures
- Familiarity with national legislation in the area of IDPs and early recovery, norms and standards of construction works, including critical social infrastructures
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages, including engineering design software
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Engineering, Architecture, Construction or related field.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of extensive progressively responsible relevant experience is accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Candidates in possession of a relevant Master’s degree or equivalent require up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in designing and/or managing civil engineering projects, reconstruction/construction of economic and social infrastructures or in other related fields.
- Candidates in possession of a relevant Bachelor’s degree require minimum 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in the field of technical supervision with valid certification will be considered as advantage.
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into recovery and IDPs as well as economic and social development issues at the national and sub-national levels will be a strong advantage.
- Familiarity with UNDP bidding procedures for procurement of civil works and services will be considered as advantage.
- Fluent Ukrainian, Russian and English languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.