San Salvador (El Salvador)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision and policy guidance of the UNODC Regional Representative for Central America and the Caribbean and the Illicit Synthetic Drugs Expert in Vienna, the incumbent will be responsible for the general coordination and implementation of the Global SMART Programme activities in Latin America and the Caribbean, in accordance with UNODC rules and regulations.
- Assist the Illicit Synthetic Drugs Expert in Vienna in activities related to the management, implementation and monitoring of the project in the region;
- Provide substantial support to all project activities, including organizing and conducting training activities, workshops, national and regional meetings and technical advisory missions on drug identification, early warning and synthetic drugs and new psychoactive substances;
- Identify and prioritize requirements for training activities, ensure appropriate nominations of national trainees and arrangements;
- Support the Illicit Synthetic Drugs Expert in day-to-day communication with counterparts in the region;
- Provide support to the Illicit Synthetic Drugs Expert in reviewing and revising the budget and draft annual budget proposals;
- Identify consultancy needs, develop terms of reference for the proposed consultancies and assist in the identification, selection and recruitment of consultants and instructors;
- Prepare regional work plans, and background documents;
- Draft all necessary regional project progress reports and project implementation delivery rate reports;
- Assist the Illicit Synthetic Drugs Expert in administrative issues; monitor equipment, supply and expenditure;
- Assist in the preparation of expert missions as required;
- Act as a liaison officer between the various national and regional agencies participating in the implementation of the project;
- Compile and review information on synthetic drugs and new psychoactive substances from various sources;
- Collect documents and keep files related to the project implementation;
- Perform other duties, as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of concepts, practices and approaches relevant to areas related to drug and crime. Knowledge of policies and practices in international drug control and crime prevention, as well as the mandates of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Knowledge of and specialization in substantive and functional areas with very good research and analytical skills. Ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Knowledge of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor Degree) in law enforcement, criminology, forensic, political science, international relations or other relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in the area of law enforcement and criminal justice, drug control or a related area.
- Familiarity with technical assistance activities and experience in project development and management.
- Understanding of the situation in the relevant /region related to drug control and forensics is highly desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (both oral and written) is required.
Las solicitudes recibidas después de la fecha límite no serán consideradas.
Serán contactados (as) solo aquellos (as) candidatos (as) de la lista corta.
Este anuncio está abierto solamente para ciudadanos(as) salvadoreños(as) o personas extranjeras con residencia definitiva vigente para laborar en el país.
Important applicant information:
Applicant information about UNDP rosters:
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.