Senior Technical Officer
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Office of Innovation (OIN) has been established as an important new unit within the FAO organizational structure to provide strategic direction and help drive and coordinate innovation across the work of the Organization, and to consolidate and strengthen FAO's innovative spirit, including innovation of approach and cooperation models and capacity development. The Office will identify, strengthen and complement priority areas for programmatic action; ensure that FAO mainstreams innovation in its programmes; facilitate collaboration among the relevant FAO units; and assist in forging and reinforcing transformative partnerships.
The Senior Technical Officer reports to the Director OIN/Chief Innovation Officer.
Policy and technical advice on innovations in agri-food systems.
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of programmes of work, projects, and relatedproducts and services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues of assigned programmes/projects; directs the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessment of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects as well as the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports as well as studies, and inputs to publications;
• Directs substantive support to consultative meetings and conferences, to include the proposition of agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars; and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Provides coordination support to the Office of Innovation in order to scale up the innovative work across the Organization and for the development and implementation of the Organization's innovation of macro policies, technology integration and management models;
• Provides critical review, analysis and advice on innovations in agri-food systems with focus on poor rural areas;
• Monitors and advises on global challenges and trends affecting agri-food systems and identifies strategic opportunities in innovations;
• Contributes to the development of innovative programmes and initiatives in support of agri-food systems, and promotes synergies and coordination of innovation activities with FAO's Hand-in-Hand Initiative (HIHI);
• Develops and monitors Office of Innovation's innovations portfolio; and supports resource mobilization efforts including coordinating and overseeing activities related to budget management;
• Develops, maintains and strengthens strategic partnerships with UN system organizations, , research institutions, extension agencies, private innovation hubs, and universities at the forefront of innovation and digital solutions including digital extension and best practices in support of FAO's mandate and priorities.
• Coordinates and facilitates the implementation, monitoring and formulation of the Office of Innovation's Programme of Work and Budget, according to programmes and committed work plans, results and milestones;
• Provides technical and policy advice to relevant divisions in implementation of FAO's strategic framework 2022-31 and MTP 2022-25 with innovation as a major accelerator;
• Oversees administrative and budgetary support in the Office of Innovation,
• Participates in other FAO activities and performs additional relevant tasks as needed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), information and communication technologies for development, or related field
• Ten years of relevant experience in policy and strategy advice and analysis relating to innovation and digital solutions applied to, or relevant to, food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in strategic guidance and policy advice in areas related to designing, planning and deployment of innovative solutions within the food and agriculture sectors, food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and rural development
• Extent and relevance of experience in establishing and maintaining partnerships with UN agencies, research institutions, academia, NGOs as well as donors and government institutions and agencies.