Social Cohesion Officer - Anbar / Ramadi
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC has long-term programs based in Baghdad and Erbil, as well as emergency response programs supporting Syrian refugees and internally displaced people (IDPs), returnees and host communities.
Working in coordination with the humanitarian community, IRC currently addresses the needs of war-affected Iraqi IDPs from several operational bases in the region. Our activities in the region focus primarily on the provision of non-food items, unconditional cash grants, health, early recovery, community protection and child protection and form part of an overarching humanitarian response in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Turkey and the region that seeks to assist IDPs and refugees survive conflict and displacement.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Social Cohesion officer is a long-term IRC position working to improve the IRC local partners’ capacity in social cohesion and supporting the families affected by conflict in Iraq. Supervised by the Consortium Manager. Will work closely with the local partners’ staff, other IRC, local partners Program Departments, other stakeholders assisting the target communities, and local authorities.
This position ensures monitoring and evaluation tools and ensures compliance with the Donor's requirements in carrying out activities. The Officer will help establish and maintain strong relationships with project stakeholders for the fulfillment of project objectives. S/he is responsible for the implementation and monitoring of project (s) in assigned city in accordance with IRC and donor requirements.
Responsibilities / Tasks:
Under the supervision of Consortium Manager, the Social Cohesion Officer will be required to:
Implementation and management of project activities
- Support the Consortium Manager update the project management tools: workplan, spending plan, procurement plan and the indicator monitoring table when needed.
- Present short and periodic reports indicating the progress of the activities.
- Ensure the compliance of program activities with the commitments made to the donor;
- Work closely with the local partner to plan and implement the following activities
- Organization of community-based assessments (e.g. local priorities, vulnerability assessment);
- Organization of capacity sharing activities for the local partner, local committees, and local authorities on social cohesion and governance priorities;
- Establishment/strengthening of community groups such as peace committees, youth committees, and women committees;
- Organization of community-based social cohesion events, such as participatory sessions to identify and analyze conflicts while ensuring Do No Harm, community, community awareness sessions on the risks of community conflicts in their communities, intra / inter-community dialogues for conflict management, community mobilization activities during international days, and annual workshops to assess community action plans;
- Development and dissemination of key messages for the prevention of community conflicts;
- Celebration of champions and model hills in social cohesion on the International Day of Peace;
- Making beneficiaries aware of COVID-19 prevention measures
Monitoring and evaluation and reporting on project activities
- Support the Consortium Manager, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) team, and the implementing partners plan the organization of monitoring and evaluation sessions for conflict management activities;
- Participate in data collection activities with beneficiaries (Baseline, midline and end line survey);
- Regularly complete the database and dashboard of project indicators at the end of each month and share with the M&E team;
- Ensure that documents relating to activities and other project resources are filed and archived (lists of participants, activity reports as well as supporting documents for expenses incurred);
- For each activity, make sure that the database has been updated.
Administrative, financial, and logistical management
- Work closely with the Consortium Manager on the overall management of the project: compliance with commitments and deadlines, planning and systematic monitoring of budgets;
- Develop planning and budget forecasts for activities and submit them to the Consortium Manager;
- Participate in the development of project management tools (work plan, spending plan and procurement plan and monitor expenditure plans and the purchasing plan to avoid any delay or inconvenience in the implementation of project activities;
- Plan the material supplies necessary for the implementation of the activities (training material, awareness raising as well as office equipment, etc.)
- Respect all administrative, financial and logistical procedures of IRC;
- Work closely with the supply chain team and colleagues in the field to plan the organization of vehicles;
- Classify and archive all documents relating to activities and other resources;
Communication and collaboration
- Ensure the representation of project activities in the field of social cohesion;
- Ensure quality representation of IRC to implementing partners;
- Maintain good relations with all stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with other team members and partners in the implementation of all activities;
- Regularly report to the Consortium Manager any information likely to impact the progress of project activities;
- Produce activity reports and reports of training, awareness-raising, community events precise and within the allotted time;
- Support in the coordination of field visits by donors and other people external to the program, if needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Consortium Manager.
- Position directly supervises: N/A.
- Position indirect reports: Governance Coordinator.
- Position supporting: Local partner staff.