ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit an Associate Research Scientist to work in the Maternal and Child Wellbeing Unit within the Research Division.
- Begin to define own area of research interest through developing proposals, concept notes and publishing in the area;
- Mentor junior staff including postdoctoral researchers and research officers;
- Represent the Center in high-level national and regional forums;
- Initiate and lead research proposals in the program and manage relevant budgets;
- Oversee the review and translation of research tools;
- Oversee/lead development of field and training manuals;
- Ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
- Ensure the recruitment, training and supervision of field interviewers;
- Oversee fieldwork in the execution of the research projects to ensure timely implementation of field activities;
- Ensure community mobilization and education of the community in relation to the research project is done;
- Conduct literature reviews;
- Lead and contribute to scientific paper writing;
- Lead the development of project reports;
- Lead and participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences;
- Contribute to institutional publications (i.e. lay dissemination materials such as– policy/research briefs and fact sheets) in relation to the projects one is working on;
- Oversee data cleaning and analysis;
- Monitor project budgets and expenditure;
- Contribute to proposal development in the program; and
- Prepare project progress reports to donors.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Public Health, Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology or other relevant areas; a minimum of 2 years’ post-doctoral experience.
- Demonstrated skills and expertise in both quantitative and qualitative data analysis and related statistical software.
- Demonstrated experiences in mental health research, with peer-reviewed publications on the subject will be an added advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by August 19, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons