Technical experts for Forestry and Biodiversity Module (Various profiles)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO Regional office for Asia and the Pacific support member countries in the development of knowledge products, capacity development and implementation of programmes and projects in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, regional and national institutions with the policy and strategic planning to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation. The purpose of this call is to provide the FAO Regional office for Asia Pacific in the region with a list of qualified candidates for a number of profiles with different technical specializations as indicated below. The contract can be home based with required travel for field missions.
Requested Profiles (or Job Titles):
• Forestry governance expert
• Community/social forestry expert
• Forest policy and legal expert
• Agroforestry expert
• Forest resources development/management expert
• Forest education and capacity development expert
• Wildlife management expert
• Forest biodiversity expert
• Forestry investment expert
• Forest trade and value chain development expert
• Forestry technology expert
• Landscape management and restoration expert
• Sustainable forest management expert
• Forests and climate change (including climate finance) expert
• Forest communication expert
• Forestry Economic Analyst
• Forest and food security expert
• Forest monitoring / assessment and inventory expert
The Technical Expert will work under the overall technical supervision of the FAO Regional Representative and the direct supervision of a RAP Officer, in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant country of assignment.
Provision of technical advice or expertise and capacity development for (i) provision of policy and legal advice to member countries in collaboration with relevant FAO Representation and other partners; (ii) the design of investment operations, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to mobilize resources for sustainable forest management and its different components, landscape restoration and biodiversity conservation; (iii) the design and implementation of capacity development programs; and (iii) implementation support and evaluation of investment operations, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Participate in multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification, assessment and preparation of investment operations (regional and country level) in the thematic fields mentioned above;
• Participate in multidisciplinary teams to assist in the formulation of field programmes and projects and the preparation of sound justifications for funding proposals for the GC, AF, GEF and other windows;
• Prepare background documents and reports for the formulation of these funding proposals, in accordance with government and financing partners’ requirements;
• Provide technical backstopping support to the implementation of field projects with a focus on methodological aspects and on M&E;
• Provide advice and technical expertise in the analysis of data and information with a focus on the thematic fields mentioned above;
• Provide advice and technical expertise to policy making, strategy formulation and legislation;
• Engage in the development of curricula and in capacity development activities as required with a focus on the thematic areas listed above;
• Provide advice and technical expertise to knowledge management activities, the documentation of lessons learned / best practices and the preparation of publications;
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in forestry, natural resources management, environmental sciences, environmental economics, environmental policy and law, social forestry or related field as appropriate for the specific profiles listed above………..
• Five to fifteen years of relevant experience in analytical studies, project formulation and implementation, landscape management, capacity development and communication, resource mobilisation.
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. (for PSA it can be required only one language)
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation of forest and natural ecosystem programmes/projects and financial strategies;
• Extent and relevance of experience in preparation of sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or
evaluation of forest and natural resource management activities;
• Extent and relevance of experience in due diligence of programmes/projects in food security, nutrition, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and ecosystem development including but not limited to
environmental and social safeguards, gender equality and Indigenous People;
• Extent and relevance of experience in development of technical knowledge products, project design and implementation;
• Extent and relevance of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of natural resource management;
• Demonstrated experience in dealing with government officials, development partners, the private sector and other country level stakeholders;
• Relevance of experience in different geographical areas.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency