Employment Program Intern
New York City (United States of America)
TITLE: Employment Programs Intern
LOCATION: New York Resettlement Office
START DATE: September 2021
DURATION: September-December 2021
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 29 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: The Employment intern is a volunteer position to support the IRC in NY’s early employment programs. This program aims to support IRC clients to establish in reaching employment and career goals they have set for themselves. The IRC’s federal and state employment programs provide job readiness training (JRT), job counseling, and job placement services for newly arrived refugees and asylees beginning their careers in the US. The employment intern will support the program by enrolling clients in the program, assist them in developing employment goals and identifying opportunities related to these goals. The intern will also assist in developing research that will support the building of relationships with employers and assist in development of employment opportunities. The intern will also provide job readiness tools to participants. The ideal candidates will have prior experience in the field of job development or job readiness programing.
- Intern will learn how to effectively manage employment programs across a wide network.
- Intern will learn how to provide direct services to immigrant populations.
- Intern will learn how to develop relationships with partners and employers.
- Provide one-on-one job coaching and counseling for clients.
- Assist clients in developing resumes, cover letters, and preparing for interviews.
- Conduct enrollment and intakes and surveys for all clients.
- Track client meetings and progress in spreadsheet and through case noting on ETO software.
- Research employment and vocational training opportunities in NYC.
- Maintain database of clients and employers for program staff.
- Assist in facilitation of Job Readiness Trainings via Whatsapp and Zoom.
- Work in conjunction with the IRC Employment Specialists to develop relationships with employers/businesses and organizations providing workforce services in NYC.
- Communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- Collaborate with other IRC in NY programs as necessary
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.