Career Development Intern
New York City (United States of America)
LOCATION: New York Resettlement Office
START DATE: September 2021
DURATION: September-December 2021
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 29 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: The career development intern is a volunteer position to support the IRC in NY’s career development program. This program aims to support IRC clients to establish in reaching career goals they have set for themselves. The career development program identifies training and certification program in different industries that will earn participants professional employment and increase in income. The career development intern will support the program by enrolling clients in the program, assist them in building a career pathway and identifying industry specific programs and opportunities related to career goals. The intern will also conduct research that will support the building of relationships with employers as wells internship and apprenticeship partners. The intern will also provide job readiness tools to participants. The ideal candidates will have prior experience in the field of career development or job readiness programing.
- Intern will learn how to effectively manage career programs across a wide network.
- Intern will learn how to provide direct services to immigrant populations.
- Intern will learn how to provide develop relationships with partners and employers.
- Provide one-on-one career coaching and counseling for clients.
- Conduct enrollment and intakes and surveys for all clients.
- Develop resumes, cover letters, and conduct interview preparation with clients.
- Assist in facilitation of vocational training coursework
- Track client meetings and progress in spreadsheet and through case noting on ETO software.
- Research certifications and training opportunities in NYC
- Develop database of employers for program staff
- Work in conjunction with the Career development coordinator to develop relationships with employers/businesses and organizations providing career development services in NYC.
- Communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- Collaborate with other IRC in NY programs as necessary
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.