Vientiane (Lao )
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Lao PDR
In October 2017, UNOPS established its new country office in Vientiane, the capital of Lao PDR. The Project portfolio of UNOPS in Lao PDR traces back to 2007 and it includes Small Grants Programme supported by the Global Environment Fund, the Regional Artemisinin Initiative (RAI) implemented jointly with the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), SUN Support to Civil Society Alliance Laos, funded by Multi-partners Trust Fund and development programs in cooperation with the Swiss Development Agency (SDA) and the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
The UNOPS Lao PDR Office is part of the UNOPS Cambodia Multi-Country Office (KHMCO), which provides oversight, support and services to UNOPS operations in the country offices. UNOPS Lao PDR has been expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio of projects and programs in the infrastructure, governance, procurement, justice, environment and agricultural sector and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information - Job-specific
- Administration and Management Support
- Logistics, Asset Management Services
- Finance Support
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Provides administrative support to PM for conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Supports the HoSS by compiling information for periodic audits.
- Petty cash management.
- Assists PM in coordinating work areas and coaches personnel in execution of standard office transactions, processes and client services for work areas, ensuring full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies and knowledge of the work areas.
- Implements the control mechanism for designated administrative services, including maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Administers inventory control, supervising proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Reviews travel authorizations, documentation, payments.
- May be designated a transactional role in OneUNOPS/Enterprise system.
- Compiles data and researches information for planning of financial resources/administrative budget for administrative services.
- Ensures effective and efficient provision of logistics and asset management support services, meeting client needs and in compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies, covering:
- Oversees implementation of logistics system in accordance with UNOPS logistical procedures.
- Coordinates and supervises processes and services in shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, building/facilities/space management, office supplies.
- Coordinates supply and assets management services and physical verification of inventory items ensuring timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports
- Oversees protocol matters, ensuring efficient delivery of client services, including registration of staff and host government authorizations.
- Manages liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for UNOPS personnel, office space and other administrative matters.
- Compiles information on administrative services provided for cost-recovery bills.
- Supervises transportation services including client service, regular vehicle maintenance, insurance, and monitoring of consumption.
- Ensures prompt reporting and investigation of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Supervises external contractor for transportation services, including client service and processing of invoices.
- Assists and monitors all aspects in the administration, including in some finance and budgetary areas.
- Assists in monitoring expenditures, verifying relevance and accuracy of requests, checks for completeness of documentation and availability of funding.
- Informs the supervisor of budget status, facilitates the fund flow and actively communicates and/ or follows up with concerned parties
- Organizes, facilitates and/or delivers training and learning initiatives for personnel on Administration related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Leads on communications in coordination with the KHMCO and acts as communications focal point to the UNCT, participating in monthly meetings.
- Collects feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilizes productively.
- Completion of secondary/high school is required.
- University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or relevant disciplines is desirable but not required.
- A Bachelor or Master would be an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- In the absence of a degree, administrative certification is an asset.
- Minimum of six years of relevant experience in general administrative, logistics, or operations’ support services in national or international public or corporate organizations.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Solid experience in the usage of computers, advanced knowledge of Google suite, MS Office, and in handling-web based management systems is desired.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Fluency in both English and Tagalog is desired.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 6 / ICS 6
- Contract duration: Open-ended
- Duty station: Vientiane, Lao PDR. Vientiane is a family duty station.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.