National Professional Officer (Programme)
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Important Notice - Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
FAO's Subregional Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen (SNG) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE).
The National Professional Officer (Programme) reports to the FAO Subregional Coordinator (SRC) of SNG who is also the FAO Representative (FAOR).
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Representation.
• Advises and liaises with government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and other UN agencies. Represents FAO at interagency meetings;
• Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications; provides FAO's information, knowledge and resources to government, NGOs, the private sector and other local entities on food, nutrition and agriculture situations; and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
• Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitors and communicates changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
• Produces technical, economic and policy studies as required and participates in the development of country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF);
• Identifies, formulates and prepares programme and project proposals, monitors and reviews the status of the programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identifies inconsistencies and delays and submits proposals to the FAOR on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
• Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade-level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided;
• Performs other duties as required.
• Manages all financial records, administrative correspondence and tracking systems of the office; monitors and advises on the financial status of projects and programmes. Leads the implementation of administrative procedures.
• Prepares and reviews ad hoc reports on programme, project and office accounts; coordinates and provides special reports for periodic budget preparation, revision and audits.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of the United Arab Emirates;
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries, or any other field related to the work of the Organization;
• Five years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO's activities in the country;
• Level C of the official communication language used for FAO communication with the country (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian);
• Working knowledge of the local language (if not English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese;
• Limited knowledge of ( Level B) of English if the main communication language is French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management;
• Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development OR extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review.