Agri-Tourism Development Specialist
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for high calibre specialist in Agri-Tourism for exploring, developing, strengthening and promoting the Agri Tourism in KSA.
The Agri-tourism Development Specialist reports to the FAO Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director General/ Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for enhancing Agri-tourism in KSA.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Agri-tourism Development Specialist will contribute to the accomplishment of outputs of the project component on “Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities. More specific, the Agri-tourism Specialist will carry out the following tasks:
1. Conduct comprehensive review of the agri-tourism opportunities (products, services, destinations attractions, others) and challenges in KSA regions to assess status, plans, organizational framework and potential of agri-tourism in the country, identify gaps.
2. Identify and map key stakeholders and prepare plan for their engagement.
3. Benchmark best international practices in agri-tourism and provide insights into market dynamics of agri-tourism market and identify challenges and opportunities relating to KSA.
4. Map and bundle possible destinations attractions and respective agri-tourism products, festivals and services into circuits and itineraries.
5. Capture and create regions/governorates specific agri-tourism brand stories.
6. Design and conduct agri-tourism industry market study to assess trends, market size of different segments, players, and regions.
7. Identify and assess the potential of engagement of women and youth in agri-tourism sector.
8. Prepare a national agri-tourism illustrated Atlas describing all destinations, current and proposed sites, products and possible activities.
9. Prepare guideline and criteria for the identification and selection of agri-tourism sites nomination and sustainable management.
10. Design and prepare agri-tourism quality services and safety standards for the Saudi Arabia.
11. Design a training program to strengthen skills of farmers and MoEWA staff in agri-tourism planning and management.
12. Prepare agri-tourism promotion and communication plan including ICT support for selected governorates as model to be adapted for other regions.
13. Prepare Saudi Arabia agri-Tourism Strategy and its action.
14. Support development of Agribusiness incubator to promote agri-tourism market and entrepreneurs with design and pilot agri-tourism destination interventions, and identification of products for selected sites and necessary institutional support.
15. Any other Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in Agri-tourism, Eco-Tourism, Tourism, Agriculture Sciences or any related field.
• At least five years of relevant work experience in the field of Agri-tourism planning and management and/or Eco-tourism development.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions with ability to provide technical and advisory services.
• International work experience in technical cooperation projects including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting.
• Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
• Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
• Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency