Digital Literacy Internship
Wichita (United States of America)
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In addition, other at-risk individuals and families are served through employment services, job readiness training, adult education and immigration services.
The Digital Literacy Intern will develop digital literacy curriculum for people of all abilities by incorporating a variety of technologies into instruction. This intern will work with Adult Education instructors and Employment Caseworkers to plan lessons that integrate components of ESL, child development and computer skills. S/he may also help with administrative tasks. Must be comfortable working with clients from a variety of backgrounds.
- Assist in the design, development and implementation of additional computer training curricula and digital literacy classes;
- Plan daily lesson plans that include objectives, instructional activities with differentiated instruction and assessments that are appropriate to the skill level, needs and interest of the students in the program;
- Maintain the computer lab and an inventory of information and technology equipment;
- Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate and that actively supports teaching and learning. Assist clients in applying for and renewing benefits;
- Assist in the developing and implementing tools to recruit and retain students;
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers to provide additional assistance to users as needed;
- Provide one-on-one digital literacy support for students;
- Teach entry level computer basic programs such as, but not limited to: Keyboarding, Internet and browsing, Word processing, Emailing, Computer and internet safety.
In-depth training will be provided for interns to understand IRC programming and the various needs of clients accessing IRC services. A high-level of confidentiality is required when working with IRC clients.