The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and operates through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries. We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
CIMMYT is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered
on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya.
The holder of the position will provide support for conducting maize disease screening trials for multiple must have diseases traits across various product profile in artificially inoculated screening sites and hotspot locations in Kenya and conduct seed health related activities (diagnosis at laboratory & documentation) for safe and clean seed movement in and out of Kenya.
- Support the Maize Pathologist for SSA in planning and implementation of artificial inoculation disease screening trials for disease traits e.g., FER, GLS, TLB, MLN. This Support the Maize Pathologist for SSA in planning and implementation of artificial inoculation disease screening trials for disease traits e.g., FER, GLS, TLB, MLN. This includes seed preparation, trial design, field book generation, inoculum preparation, artificial inoculations, trial agronomical management, data recording and data analysis.
- Work in close supervision with other technicians (NARS & CIMMYT) in trial monitoring and to ensure high standards of Phyto sanitation in all the screening site during disease screening are maintained.
- Support site technician for MLN field screening trials, including seed preparation, planting, agronomic management, and data collection from field trials, as required.
- Support disease diagnosis and disease sample collection during disease survey and assist 2 Maize pathologist on disease survey and epidemiological studies as appropriately needed.
- Assist scientists in training partners on disease diagnosis and management.
- Execute seed health testing for the detection of maize-seed borne virus, bacteria, and fungi.
- Responsible for movement of clean, disease free seed into and out of Kenya (for both CIMMYT and other partners and comply with quarantine regulations.
- Coordinate with other breeding, DH & seed system colleagues for proper seed movement and exchange between sites in Kenya to prevent accidental introduction of Maize lethal necrosis (MLN).
- Comply with lab safety and Phyto sanitation requirement to ensure good laboratory practices (at ICRAF).
- Responsible for timely uploading the regulatory details in Ken trade online for smooth seed shipment and lab reagent import and export.
- Responsible for maintaining records of Lab (ICRAF) inventory for all consumables and chemicals, testing and shipping documents and reports.
- Assist maize pathologist in Implementation of established policies related to maize seed health and maize pathology at CIMMYT in Kenya.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- MSC in plant sciences with 3-5 years’ work experience in trial management, data analysis and disease diagnosis.
- Computer literacy.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Team Work and Critical Thinking.
Terms of offer
- This is a Locally Recruited Position. ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency,
commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for an initial period two (2) years renewable, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period.
- The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
To apply, please click here. Applications will be considered until 15 August 2021. CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the job requirements will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: