The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and operates through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries. We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
CIMMYT is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered
on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Work closely with the Communications Officer to provide communication and media support to prioritized special events/workshops/meetings and conferences.
- Work with scientists and partners to visit farmers and on-station trials to write impact stories.
- Write press releases, media invites and coordinate media visits to various events and field tours.
- Write content for the production of publications, including newsletters, scientific reports, etc.
- Support and coordinate photography and videography activities for field activities.
- Work and follow-up with vendors (local and HQ) to produce high quality print and audiovisual communication products.
- Prepare content for campaigns including messages, pictures, videos etc.
Monitor and upload content in projects websites.
- Support new approaches to create and distribute multi-media content to the CIMMYT projects in the region.
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- University degree in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline. Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in science communications, marketing, public relations, media campaigns, and/or nonprofit communications.
- Non-profit organization experience or demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments.
- Excellent English writing, storytelling and editing skills.
- Familiarity with agriculture, science, development or a related field.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- Familiarity with Adobe graphic design applications would be an advantage.
- Good photography and videography skills are a plus.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Innovation and Creativity, Decision-Making, and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
Terms of offer
- This is a Locally Recruited Position. ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for an initial period two (2) years renewable, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period.
- The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
To apply, please click here. Applications will be considered until 15 August 2021. CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the job requirements will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: