WASH Coordinator Lebanon BML
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Role and responsibilities
The WASH Coordinator is responsible for implementing the delegated WASH project portfolio within BML area and managing the day to day activities of WASH related field staff to ensure proper delivery, high quality results and compliance to applicable laws, standards, practices, policies and procedures in coordination with the Shelter and WASH Project Manager.
- Adhere to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to the WASH strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from the line manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular reports to the Project Manager on project implementation
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Supervise the WASH team, ensure their capacity building and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and report any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action
- Ensure that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Coordinate the WASH activities between the shelter and water and sanitation team through movement plan, work plan, meetings and field work.
- Design adapted WASH and infrastructure solutions for the different areas of and types of intervention, taking into account the National WASH strategy standards, Lebanese standards, special and protection needs.
- Participate in new project preparation and methodologies, through budget, log frame drafting and available WASH national and international assessments in urban and semi-urban settings.
- Coordinate and maintain a positive relationship with local and national authorities for project identification, obtaining necessary approvals for upgrade implementation, and follow up required
- Monitor new refugee’s settlements on a regular basis and coordinate with other NGOs, UNHCR and UNICEF to make sure gaps are being addressed.
- Design WASH solutions for refugeesettlements including WASH infrastructure BoQs, taking into account people with special needs, vulnerabilities and coping mechanisms.
- Coordinate and follow up the WASH procurement process in WASH in ITS activities, Hygiene Prmotion activities in schools and community support projects.
- Develop and manage the hygiene promotion related activities in schools, ITSs and community support projects within the area based approach.
- Manage the performance of relevant WASH staff, set objectives, monitor work plans, and provide constructive feedback on a regular basis.
- Draft necessary project documents, including project proposals, MoUs, work plans, procurement plans, spending plans, M&E plans, risk matrices, O&M plans, progress reports, etc., to ensure the projects meet NRC’s standards and quality.
- Lead the development and review of technical designs, drawings, Bill of Quantities and other technical documentation necessary for project realization in settlements, schools and on communal level.
- Ensure detailed and accurate tender documentation including Bill of Quantities, Technical Specifications, Scope of Work and quality assurance.
- Supervise contractor work closely during the implementation phase, ensuring high quality implementation.
- Ensure that project processes and related information are properly documented and ensure high technical quality, transparent processes, and participatory implementation.
- Provide regular updates, feedback, photos and stories on field implementation, particularly those which share relevant and timely information or which demonstrate impact of activities.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Shelter: Coordinate on activities linked to shelter condition (site improvement, drainage, vector control) in refugee settlements and coordinate Hygiene promotion activities in Small shelter units.
- Emergency Response Unit: ERU and WASH will work in the same areas where possible, provision of the WASH technical support as requested.
- Education: Coordinate WASH activities in schools, informal education centers and community centers.
- ICLA: refer cases in need of ICLA support and coordinate on service mapping.
- M&E: Prepare and implement the WASH project M&E plan in coordination with the M&E department to ensure the WASH project meets its objectives and expected quality.
- Security and Logistics: Coordinate with Logistics and Security department on the access of new areas of intervention and security incidents faced by the WASH team
- Ensure working links and specific liaison with protection coordinators, accountability team and support teams
- Coordination: Relevant local authorities, local and international organizations and stakeholders, including UN bodies, and Beirut and Mount Lebanon Water Establishment
- Area operations: Support Manager, Logistics, HR, Finance
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
- Master/ Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil, Hydraulic, Mechanical, Water, Environment Engineering or Public Health
- Minimum 3 years of relevant job experience in a similar role, preferably within the humanitarian sector
- Certificate or proven experience in hydraulic modeling, water networks and electromechanical works is an important asset
- Knowledge of relevant concepts of international refugee and human rights law and understanding of protection principles
- Significant understanding of Lebanon’s humanitarian, political and socio-economic context, and main challenges affecting refugees in Lebanon
- Proven experience in implementing WASH programmes, coordinating activities, and liaising with external actors
- Knowledge of the WASH context (gaps and needs) in Beirut and Mount Lebanon
- Certificate or proven experience in computer-aided design necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal
2. Behavioral competencies
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Initiating action and change