Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a “Head of Human Resources Unit”
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial, and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Responsible for driving and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall operational plan and strategic direction of Geneva Call (GC), specifically in the areas of talent management, performance management, training and development, and compensation. The Head of Human Resources provides strategic leadership by articulating Human Resources needs and plans to the management team
- Leading the transformation of human resources management to be strategic and proactive, putting staff at the center, to enhance Human Resource performance and service to staff members.
- Evaluating the human resource’s structure, systems, and processes to identify areas for change and improvement and develop and implement execution of improvements.
- Develop short and long-range goals and objectives, including plans to implement and evaluate staffing plans; recruit, retain and evaluate a high-quality workforce; manage unit resources; maintain competitive and equitable classification and compensation structures as well as communications with staff
- Provide leadership support to Management team and Directors in preparing and implementing programs and services relative to staffing in alignment with the overall strategic plan.
- Provide overall leadership and management guidance to the Human Resources unit by overseeing talent acquisition, learning and development, team member engagement, succession planning, retention, training, as well as compensation management.
- Evaluate established human resources policies, procedures, systems and develop new ones as needed.
- Lead organizational efforts to develop, implement and maintain compensation systems.
- Assist in the development of the annual budget, including Foundation needs and priorities.
- Contribute to the overall strategy of the organization within the management team.
- Evaluate Geneva Call’s strengths, weaknesses, and how to identify high value opportunities for Human Resources management.
- Change Management – identify and drive organizational and cultural transformation to help Geneva Call adapt to operational demands and initiatives including growth.
- Project Management – manage projects from the planning stage to completion with an emphasis on quality during the process ensuring optimal use of organizational resources, processes, and policies.
- Strategic Planning – Provide the necessary framework to set priorities and objectives.
- Emotional Intelligence –Handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. Act as a role model for emotional intelligence through their own capacity to be aware of, control, and express their emotions.
- Management Collaboration – Create disposition that reassures others, internal and external to the organization. Understand the importance of relationships in enabling effective teamwork, modifying personal style, focusing on the needs of others, and listening effectively to ensure effective outcomes for group endeavors.
- Financial – Interpret financial information and its impact. Enable strategic people decisions with financial data and results.
- Distributed Workforce – Understand distributed workforce and internal communication. Take initiatives to drive further culture drivers to every level of the organization.
- Innovation – Seek out and adopt innovative approaches to attract, engage and develop top talent.
- Strategic Vision – Establish a strategic vision of the future based on a robust analysis of environmental trends, internal resources, and Geneva Call’s mission and values. Communicate a compelling picture of Geneva Call that helps others understand the objectives and their role in implementing them.
- Results Focus –Create and drive a culture of accountability and performance.
These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the daily operations and supervise the Human Resources team.
- Manage administrative Human Resources processes.
- Participate and directly manage recruitment of staff for Geneva Call for HQ and Field.
- Responsible for the Human Resources budgets and reports accurately.
- Manage the appraisal and performance tools in HQ and Field Offices.
- Provide advice on conflict management.
- Provide counsel on Human Resources issues to managers and staff.
- Provide guidance to senior managers and Human Resources staff in HQ and Field offices
- Support staffing plans and ensure the staffing needs of the Organization are met on an ongoing basis.
- Supervise on-boarding, facility management in HQ office (Insurance, health & safety, workload).
- Coordinate administrative issues with Field offices (insurance, implementation, office opening…)
- Human Resources team management - Manage and back up function within the Human Resources team. Have a clear understanding of each role and responsibility within the Human Resources team. Be able to delegate appropriately responsibilities in line with the strategic need of Geneva Call.
- University degree in Human Resources or related
- Holder of Brevet Fédéral RH
- In-depth knowledge of Swiss labor law
- Knowledge of Human Resources systems, databases, and tools for all Human Resource service delivery
- In-depth knowledge of international law and regulations.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Additional languages an advantage.
- Excellent active listening and negotiation skills.
- People oriented and results driven.
- Building culture at scale (demonstrated increase in retention and engagement scores at multiple companies) that drives individual’s behavior.
- Engagement of distributed workforce with significant front-line risk.
- Multi-site environments.
- Strategic alignment.
- Has built and overseen a large-scale talent acquisition function for professional staff.
- Scaling of technology and other Human Resources solutions to support business; and cross functional partnerships with Finance, Communications and Operations.
- At least 10 years of experience in HR. Experience in the non-for-profit sector as a plus.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Head of HR
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: 12.2021
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter, diploma, and proof of non-criminal record in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “Head of HR” no later than 30.09.2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.