Immigration Intern (NY)
New York City (United States of America)
TITLE: Immigration Intern
LOCATION: New York, NY
START DATE: September 8th
DURATION: 3 months (with opportunity to extend)
POSITION REPORTS TO: Immigration Supervisor and other immigration staff
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Immigration Intern will assist immigration staff in providing direct legal services such as adjustment of status, citizenship, and family reunification to refugees, asylees, and other immigrants. (S)he will work closely with immigration staff to provide follow-up communication to clients. The intern will also perform a series of clerical and administrative duties to ensure client files are kept up to date.
- Assist immigration staff in providing direct legal services to clients.
- Perform research to connect clients to services including food pantries, mental health services, and more.
- Assist staff with the sorting and filing of documents and case files.
- Adhere to IRC policies, particularly those related to confidentiality and client privacy.
- Display sensitivity to cultural and personality differences of clients. Respect their beliefs and values.
- Perform follow-up communication with clients, inform them about the status of their cases, and explain processing delays.
- Prepare change of address forms with USCIS (The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) as needed.
- Provide translation and interpretation when necessary.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Student will learn about U.S. immigration law
- Student will develop problem solving and client services skills
- Student will learn how to manage client cases within established deadlines