Education Coordinator (Head of Program) - Beirut
The Education Coordinator will be responsible for overall leadership, management, coordination and technical support to maintain and expand IRC's Education programming in Lebanon. This includes:
- Manage, coordinate and support all education programs within IRC Lebanon to ensure timely and quality activity set-up, budget management, implementation, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Ensuring program quality and innovation where possible;
- Build capacity of the Education team in the different selected program methodologies, and provide ongoing coaching and support of staff to ensure high-quality program implementation.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders, serving as IRC representative to donors, line Ministries including Education, other multinationals, technical agencies and other partner organizations.
- Strengthening community engagement and child-centered approaches;
- Continuing to support the expansion of strategic priorities such as partnerships with local NGOs where possible;
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and proposals, , including design and writing of technical proposal sections, with relevant support from the IRC Technical Unit and relevant departments
Program oversight and implementation
- Overall leadership, coordination and technical support to all education programs within IRC Lebanon to ensure timely and quality set-up, budget management, implementation, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Overall responsibility for education program budgets. Manage budgets (budget forecasting, development of spending plans and budget follow-up) and reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations.
- Lead on the development, adaptation, and the implementation of the Strategic Action Plan (SAP). Ensure programs are in compliance with IRC Lebanon’s SAP, international education standards and national policies.
- Supervise and direct the routine data collection for the project to monitor and use data to improve programs.
- Ensure that programming adheres to the IRC’s Outcome and Evidence Framework to achieve outcomes. This includes having evidence based theories of change and project approaches/activities, and a robust M&E framework according to IRC and donor standards. Where evidence is lacking, generate evidence.
- Build and supervise an Education team with specific technical expertise in relevant areas and meet technical program needs. This includes creating detailed work planning (including spending plans and budgeting).
- Promptly identify and recommend solutions to technical issues.
Capacity building of Education team
- Build capacity of the team and partner NGOs in the different selected program methodologies, and provide ongoing coaching and support of staff to ensure high-quality program implementation.
- Provide clear technical support, capacity building, and mentoring to the Education team and partner NGOs, including trainings needed to build specialized skills.
- Provide technical support, training and supervision to the education team as required.
- Actively seek out and promote formal and informal training for all staff in the education team.
- Ensure that Education staff adhere to best principles.
- Lead in identification of funding opportunities and in the development of high quality Education concept notes and proposals and donor reports in line with Lebanon Strategic Action Plan and IRC outcomes.
- Coordinate the expansion of education programming in close collaboration with the education team, relevant field managers, deputy director of programs (DDP) and the education technical advisor.
- Identify gaps in existing Education programming and work with the team to develop innovative approaches and mechanisms to address them.
- Liaise with Education Technical Advisors regularly and proactively pursue technical guidance as needed.
- Stay abreast of developments in the IRC Education Technical Unit and global working groups related to new tools and guidelines.
- Utilize the IRC’s Outcomes and Evidence Framework (OEF) and related theories of change in project design and promote understanding of OEF tools among education staff.
- Lead and support integration of Education programming across other IRC sectors, including Economic Recovery and Development, Child Protection, Women’s Protection and Empowerment and Protection.
Grants Management and Reporting
- Manage and review progress in achieving program objectives and targets
- Review technical aspects of internal and external reports prepared by the managers within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required.
- Support the preparation and implementation of detailed program spending, procurement and workplans.
- In collaboration with program managers, review Budget vs. Actual expenditure on a monthly basis ensuring no over or underspending.
- Bring any over/under expenditure issues to the attention of the relevant field coordinator/manager in a timely manner and jointly develop corrective plans in collaboration with the DDP and the grants team.
- Oversee the management of donor grants ensuring the program is implemented with conformity with SAP.
- Work in collaboration with the M&E coordinator to ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems are developed (incl. indicator tracking sheets) and implemented in all programs, that activity, output and effect data are captured in an accurate & efficient manner, so programs are continually tailored to optimize quality.
- With the support of the M&E unit, review, select and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyze results to ensure learning, and in doing so, enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required with tailored technical support to partner NGOs
- Participate in and lead grants opening, review and closing meetings.
Human Resource management
- Assist in the selection and recruitment of qualified staff in the education programs.
- Discuss job expectations, set objectives and provide appropriate and timely feedback regarding performance, including timely implementation of the annual staff performance management system.
- Work with the relevant field coordinator/manager to ensure technical aspects of the Performance Management System documentation for the senior program managers, deputies and senior officers is in place and followed up regularly.
- Clearly define the training needs of direct reports and ensure they are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions including staff development plans.
- Lead with commitment, integrity & accountability the “IRC Way”- Global Standards for Professional Conduct.
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures.
Representation and coordination
- As relevant, develop, maintain and/or initiate partnerships with community based organizations, international and local NGOs, UN Agencies, potential and current donors, and relevant national bodies.
- Actively participate in and represent the IRC at education-related coordination meetings, ensuring proper dissemination of information among relevant partners, donors and relevant government institutions.
- Develop and maintain effective coordination and long-term relationships with external parties, representing IRC positions, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts.
- Upon request by the Senior Management Team, support organizing and facilitating field visits for partners, donors and others interested in IRC’s education programming in Lebanon.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position Reports to: Deputy Director of Programs
Position directly supervises: Senior Education Manager; Senior SEL Manager; Education Technical Manager and Project Managers in the field.
Other Internal: HQ based IRC Technical Advisors, Deputy Director of Operations, Field Coordinator/Managers, Other Program Coordinators, Program Managers, M&E Coordinator, Grants Coordinator, Partnership Coordinator.
Other External:Relevant other partners, e.g UN bodies, local and national authorities, Lebanon humanitarian coordination structures.
The Coordinator will be based in Beirut with frequent travel to the sub-offices.