Citizenship Education Program Intern
San Diego (United States of America)
TITLE: Citizenship Education Program Intern
LOCATION: City Heights, El Cajon, and remotely as needed
START DATE: September. – December 2021
DURATION: 4 months; 10 - 20 hours per week
Important Note: This is an unpaid internship.
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: Citizenship Education Program Interns work with the Citizenship Instructor to run the Citizenship Test Preparation Courses offered to Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs). These courses prepare LPRs for the civics and English portions of the U.S. Citizenship test, teaching students basics language skills and civics knowledge to help them participate fully in their lives as American citizens.
- Assist instructor in outreach actions to recruit new students
- Input data (student data and test results) into various databases
- Prepare materials, lead break-out sessions with students and assist in classroom activities
- Schedule and lead interview practice sessions with former students
- Interns will gain skills in managing and implementing a Citizenship Education program
- Interns will gain familiarity in cross-cultural communication and teaching English and civics to speakers of other languages
- Interns will gain knowledge in the process of naturalization
This position reports to the Christina Augsburger, Citizenship Instructor.