Field Programme Associate
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
This position is located in the Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO UTF Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Field Programme Associate plays a lead role in the coordination of field programme/project support services for the FAO Representation. He/she performs a broad range of programme, planning and budgeting activities requiring in-depth analysis and interpretation of relevant policies, procedures and practices. The incumbent provides procedural guidance to managers and staff in the Country Office.
The Field Programme Associate reports to the Administrative Officer under the general supervison of the FAO Programme Director. He/she works with wide latitude for independent action and gives guidance and advice to clerical and/or junior programme support staff. He/she works collaboratively with various Project Management Units operating under the Country Office and also with the administrative staff of the Country Office.
The Field Programme Associate maintains a wide range of contacts with managers, staff and stakeholders inside and outside the Organization. The incumbent collaborates closely with colleagues in the Subregional and Regional offices and relevant headquarters departments, ensuring the quality and consistency of programme and project support services.
• Ensure effective operational support to the FAO field programmes and projects executed in the country; ensure consistency with the Organization's operational requirements and the country's rules and regulations;
• Participate in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme, project and workplan proposals for the country in line with the new Project Cycle Guide; participate in the preparation of draft project documents; ensure high quality and consistency;
• Ensure that the necessary financial and human resources are in place and that the appropriate goods and services are procured for the effective functioning of projects, in collaboration with others on the project team;
• Coordinate the monitoring and review of project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; coordinate the review of inputs, expenditures and time frames; identify inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
• Accompany field visits to project sites and/or accompany project managers and/or experts in their meetings with donors and government officials;
• Coordinate the collection, maintenance, distribution and consolidation of technical and operational data. ensuring that all project-related data and documentation is up-to-date in the Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS);
• Analyze and summarize data from various sources, including FAO corporate systems, draft periodic or ad hoc management reports, verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on transactions and operational matters;
• Prepare and finalize correspondence of operational nature regarding programme / project matters; initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and operational matters, as required;
• Ensure appropriate recording and administrative processing of requests and inputs for FAO's assistance received by Government, donors or other organizations;
• Review current processes and make recommendations to improve programme/projects' operational and administrative procedures;
• Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts directly on the smooth and efficient operations of the field programme/project activities of the Country Office. He/She plays a lead role in the coordination and provision of the programme operational support services for the successful achievement of the Office's mandate.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education. Specialized training in project management and programme operations. Experience: Five years of experience in administrative/ financial/ planning/ programming/ budgeting activities for both Regular Programme and Projects.
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and Arabic.
IT Skills: Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Exchange). Ability to effectively use project management software and other information systems/databases.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent of trainings in project management support and programme operations support
• Extent of knowledge of corporate information systems such as Oracle, COIN (Country Office Information System)
and FPMIS (Field Programme Management Information System) is an asset
• Knowledge of the communication and documentation management standards
• Knowledge of administrative procedures and policies
• Knowledge of organizational structure
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
• Experience in supporting the identification, formulation and preparation of programme, project and work plan proposals for the country.
• Experience in supporting the preparation of draft project documents ensuring their high quality and consistency.
• Experience in briefing and training junior staff ensuring adherence to procedures, guidelines and work
• Familiarity with FAO and/or UN field programme management procedures and guidelines is an asset
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency