FACILITIES MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC) provides critical Logistics, Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies services and Training to all peacekeeping missions around the world.
This position is located in the United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC)/United Nations Information and Communication Technology Facility (UNICTF) in Valencia (Spain) within the Office of the Chief, Service for Geospatial Information and Telecommunications Technologies (SGITT).
The incumbent reports to the P-5 Chief of Unit within the Office of the Chief, SGITT / Head of Premises in Valencia, UNICTF.
Under the overall supervision and general guidance of the P-5 Chief of Unit, the Facilities Management Assistant will carry out the following duties:
• Plans, schedules and supervises construction, repair, maintenance and installation of conventional buildings, temporary buildings, infrastructure and sites and premises including grounds in the mission area.
• Plans, schedules, supervises and coordinates maintenance services of installations, systems and equipment throughout the buildings.
• Plans, schedules and supervises programs of work related to space allocation, and facilities expansion and management.
• Coordinates technical discussions regarding the facilities with the Host Government and Local Authorities.
• Receives, analyses and reviews service requests, including installations of equipment; determines priority of work, plans and prepares work orders, assigns work and follows up on service complaints.
Coordinates with requesting departments in case of changes in requirements and suggests alternatives or interim solutions. Trains users on equipment installed.
• Reviews contractors' invoices and assists with cost recovery as required.
• Carries out technical assessments of existing buildings and infrastructure.
• Assists the supervisor in preparing draft proposals for construction and alterations work including preparation of construction drawings, technical specifications, bills of quantity and cost estimates.
• Conducts technical reviews of offers submitted and studies drawings and sketches for review and discussion to determine extent of work required; presents alternatives as solution of problems.
Accompanies all contractors to job locations, clarifies drawings and specifications after contract has been awarded to successful contractor.
• Supervises and coordinates with contractors performing construction and alteration work to ensure that quality of services performed by the contractors is in accordance with set terms and conditions, codes and standards, health and safety regulations and objectives. Does final inspection, supervises the commissioning of the work, claim operation manuals and shop drawings for files, and informs supervisor of completion of work.
• Prepares and writes requisitions for purchase of equipment, material, spares, etc.; reviews and evaluates offers and coordinates with procurement unit.
• Provides support services to tenant/partner organizations, conferences and meetings, sessions and other requesting departments and maintains liaison with focal points.
• Participates in the preparation of cost estimates of biennial budget and spending plan related to the Unit accounts. Prepares yearly budget estimates and monthly tables of prorated charges for common services, and monthly/yearly consumption and expenditure tables as well as charts of general operating expenses.
• Suggests ways to institute control and methods to improve service and reduce cost for the United Nations.
• Coordinates with occupational safety and health, Security and Safety on their investigation on safety and fire hazard situations associated with installation done by the Unit.
• Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge of facilities management and coordination of construction projects. Ability to read and interpret architectural floor plans. Ability to plan, schedule and supervise programs of work related to space allocation, and facilities expansion and management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION:
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
Educational qualifications in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent is desirable.
A minimum of seven (07) years of progressively responsible experience in Facilities Management, Building Management, Engineering, Architecture, Administration Services or related area is required.
Experience in working in the United Nations or similar international organization is desirable.
Experience in the establishment of effective working relationships and partnerships with host government and authorities at all levels is desirable.
Experience using AutoCAD or similar computer-aided design software is desirable.
Experience using 3D modelling software (such as ‘SketchUp’ or similar) is desirable.
Experience using rendering software (such as ‘Lumion’ or similar) is desirable.
English and French are the main working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Fluency in Spanish (both oral and written) is required.Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
Recruitment for this position is done on a local basis.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country.
Applicants who are Spanish nationals or nationals of a member state of the European Union need to upload a copy of their national passport. All other applicants need to have a valid work permit for Spain and need to upload a copy of such work permit. All other applicants, except current UNGSC staff members in Valencia, need to provide a Certificado de Penales. Attachments need to be uploaded in Step 8 of the online application. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.”
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Service category in the United Nations Secretariat. Having passed the Administrative Assessment Support Test (ASAT) in English at Headquarters, ECA, ESCWA, UNOG, UNOV, ICTR, or ICTY may be recognized in place of the GGST, pending confirmation of validity.
A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to International Staff.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.