Call Centre Manager
The Call Center Manager will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly (GD) delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients. They will be responsible for setting up the call centre and ensuring it serves as an efficient arm of follow up operations. They will manage follow up field officers (FOs) and call center officers. The follow-up team is responsible for (i) speaking to all GD recipients after they receive transfers (mostly by phone but sometimes in the field); (ii) picking up, tracking, and resolving adverse events such as fraud or conflict reported in the field or through the GD toll free hotline; (iii) picking up, tracking, and resolving mobile money registration problems reported in the field or through the GD toll free hotline; and (iv) receiving inbound calls on the GD toll free hotline. The individual in this position will own day-to-day management of the team, including: daily work planning and team management, tracking team and individual performance; achieving targets; coaching field and call center officers; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement. The Call Center Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on team performance as well as successes and challenges. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards driving both team and individual productivity and quality.
The Call Centre Manager will have the following responsibilities:
Call Centre and Field Management
- Set up and manage the the Call Centre
- Meet with the Program Manager at least monthly to align on any adjustments to the work plan.
- Meet with field and call center teams as necessary to align on daily plans and problem-solve challenges.
- Coordinate team approach for surveys to maximize efficiency and efficacy (e.g. allocating call center roles by transfer type, hotline, adverse events, and registration problems).
- Track field and call center officer productivity & quality of service, including reviewing operational reports each week; discuss team and individual performance weekly and own course correction if metrics are slipping.
- Keep senior management informed of key risks to the work plan (e.g. adverse event / registration problem counts, monthly recipient transfer-readiness, rumours about GiveDirectly, mobile money agent fraud, etc.).
- Weekly meeting with other members of field management (PM and Associate Field Managers) in order to discuss challenges and propose solutions.
- Manage periodic team trips to the field to follow-up with vulnerable recipients, hard to reach recipients, and adverse event / registration problem cases.
- Participate in a weekly field-management forum to solve problems and collaborate on work planning
Data collection and process improvement
- Vet new versions of surveys, including impact on staff productivity and follow-up data quality, and recommend survey improvements as necessary (e.g. potential process, risk mitigation, or data management gaps).
- Raise ideas for continuous improvement to the enrolment process /recipient experience; execute process improvements.
- Collect surveys ~ 1-2 days a week in order to help teams achieve targets and to help identify areas for improvement.
- Monitor and ensure quality control while the staff conduct surveys.
- Periodically check and review the data collected by field and call center officers, and coach them to correct any issues observed.
- Spend 1-2 day resolving difficult cases in the field that require special attention (hard-to-find recipients, cases of potential fraud)
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant professional field
- At Least 3- 4 years of working experience, work in the development sector will have an added advantage
- Previous experience working in call centers and in a management position is desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing direct reports and broader team
- Fluency in English, Portuguese and Sena
- Exceptional ability to solve complex operational challenges in the field
- Alignment with GiveDirectly core values and commitment to advancing GD’s mission
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and team-player mentality
- Strong interest in being the engine of the day-to-day field work
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating about gaps and risks
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties
***GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.