Grants and Partnerships Coordinator
El Salvador (Philippines)
Based : Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to the displaced and refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
People in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, referred to as Northern Central America (NCA), are facing a complex emergency and underprioritized humanitarian crisis of a multi-causal nature. The COVID-19 pandemic, along with recurring natural disasters, have only intensified the basic needs of historically marginalized groups, risking their long-term mental and physical wellbeing. By November 2020, there was an estimated total of 9.2 million people in need (PIN) of humanitarian assistance; this number represented a 77% increase when compared to data from early 2020.
NCA ́s protracted humanitarian needs are comparable across the three countries, which face similar challenges including recurring protection concerns due to high rates of violence and internal displacement and migration, reduction of purchasing power and loss of livelihoods, with alarming rates of poverty and food insecurity. COVID-19 unfolded when the number of acutely food insecure people in NCA was on the rise, largely due to conflicts, extreme climate events and economic downturn. COVID-19 increased the number of people facing acute hunger as jobs are lost, the flow of remittances slowed, and food systems are under stress or disrupted.
In this context, the IRC responds to people in need through GBV prevention and response services, child protection services, protection coordination, advocacy, responsive information, and multi-purpose cash assistance. Activities are tailored to communities, based on their needs, resources, and access to services. Activities in target locations are determined in collaboration with local stakeholders, allowing the response to be tailored to micro-contextual considerations and community preferences. The IRC works closely with local partners in each location.
The Grants and Partnership Coordinator (GPC) provides strategic guidance and support to IRC´s Response Northern Central America in program development, grants/sub-grants management, compliance, and donor relations. S/he facilitates proposal development processes and supports a variety of aspects of project cycle management, including reporting, grant and sub-grant monitoring and modifications, and grant closing. The GPC will ensure an effective coordination with all key staff members including those based in HQ and Region.
Business Development (55%):
- Lead and manage IRC´s NCA Business Development strategy, support the CD, DDP and Technical Coordinators in proactive engagement with potential and existing donors for fundraising to implement its Strategic Action Plan (SAP) and maintaining good relationships.
- Lead the proposal writing and coordinate with all relevant staff to gather their inputs in a timely fashion with support from the Grants team and coordinate efforts with Regional and HQ-based (NYC, London, Germany) colleagues.
- Support the Grants and Partnership team members and other relevant colleagues in coordinating and maintaining an efficient system for proposal/concept note development and revisions as relevant. Maintain clear responsibilities outlined for management, programs, finance, and operations departments - that yields timely, high quality submissions.
- Ensure proposals are timely tracked with standard IRC tracking tools (e.g. FM01, OTIS).
- Be the primary interlocutor for the HQ-based (NYC, London, Germany) NCA focal points with regards to Business Development initiatives and coordinate with all relevant technical and implementation colleagues and devise the timelines with clear responsibilities for the proposal development and submission.
- Analyze all funding opportunities in collaboration with the technical units’ in-country, Region and HQ levels for further actions.
- Ensure that all current major projects/and those to be developed are aligned with respective Theory of Change with strong Measurement Frameworks.
- Contribute to the identification of potential donors, maintenance of donor relations and mobilization of resources to support planned work as per the SAP, ensuring the Value for Money
- Promote the involvement of stakeholder groups, including implementing partners and beneficiaries (where possible), in designing new projects/ programs.
- Train other country team members as relevant
Team Coordination and grants management support (25%):
- Strengthen the capacity of the Grants & partnerships team members on business development, proposal coordination, writing, grants management, reporting and partnerships
- Ensure that grants & partnership staff collaborate with relevant functional areas (Finance, Supply Chain, etc.) in reviewing donor contracts and outline major concerns to relevant country and HQ based colleagues.
- Support grants & partnership staff and other relevant colleagues in organizing Grant Opening; Regular/Monthly review and Closure Meetings in timely and effective manner
- Ensure the compliance to donor’s policy and procedures at the time of financial and progress reporting.
- Ensure preparation of high quality, comprehensive donor reports, combining information from all the areas, including Finance, Operations, and Programs.
- Support team members in undertaking proactive assessment of potential risks in managing donor contracts throughout the project cycle management, anticipate risks, inform, and support all concerned including SMT to take timely risk mitigation measures
- Support effective coordination with the Award Management Unit in IRC HQs and Region for any day-to-day requirements including periodical realignments of the budgets, managing cost/no-cost extensions etc.
- In collaboration with the CD and DDP, advance the partnership agenda.
- Support team members in overseeing, facilitating, and coordinating all aspects of partnership life cycle management, from stakeholder analysis, partner identification, due diligence, project development, agreement, start-up, implementation, monitoring through to close-out, coordinating effectively with all programs, operations, and finance components
- Support team members in overseeing the management, coordination, and key risk control elements of IRC NCA´s partnership portfolio to ensure a high level of risk management and compliance in strong, high-quality partnerships that deliver timely and effective assistance in line with IRC’s partnership management system (PEERS).
- Champion robust partner relationship management characterized by the core partnership principles of responsibility, results-oriented approach, equality, transparency, and complementarity.
- Identify, maintain, and engage with key potential partner organizations across the country
- Ensure a high-level of efficiency in seeking approvals from HQ and region to sign the partnership agreement by being proactive and preemptive through consistent learning from past and improving to increase the efficiency of the process.
- Ensure a strong coordination with all key in-country, in the region and HQ to ensure that no unreasonable delays come across in finalizing partnerships.
- Support miscellaneous tasks as needed per supervisor´s guidelines.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Deputy Director Programs
- Position directly supervises: Grants Manager (x1) and Partnership Manager (x1)
- Works closely with CD for portfolio management and advancing partnerships
Major Challenges/ Difficulties of This Role
- Work under tight deadlines while dealing with competing priorities
- Coordinate and gather the necessary inputs from other functions/roles while meeting the necessary quality within tight deadlines.
- Work with diverse country, region and headquarter based teams and ensure adherence to organizational and donor compliance requirements while ensure quality and meeting deadlines