Mexico City (Mexico)
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home. In Mexico the IRC program teams support the well-being of populations all along the migration corridor.
The Interpreter is required for a indetermined assessment project in the current Mexico- Afghanistan humanitarian crisis.Duties will include translating group discussions between Farsi, Pashto/Dari, and English, transcribing from tape recordings and preparing notes.The Interpreter will need to be able to translate in a timely and accurate manner.
Detail duties and responsibilities:
The major responsibilities at this position include, but are not limited to:
- Attend focus group discussions, trainings, and interviews, and provide spoken interpretation between the parties during the discussion/training/interviews.
- Translation between IRC local team and Afghan refugees with Farsi/Pashto/Dari – English/Spanish.
- Listen to tape recordings of conversations and provide an accurate and detailed transcript (in English/Spanish) of the conversation.
- Conduct observation exercises in Shelters under the guidance of the Team Lead/Project Lead and/or Field Coordinator.
- Translation of documents from English/Spanish to Farsi/Pashto/Dari.
- Elaboration of Cultural awareness strategies for refugees to cope in a new culture.
- Support to Supply Chain, HR and rest of the team with Afghan cultural awareness (Halal food, Mesquites, religion, security).
- Honour outlined ethical codes to ensure sensitive and confidential information remains secure and protected.
- Identify terms and words with conflicting meanings to determine which alternative provides clarity and reflects the original purpose of the message.
- Any other duties assigned by the Team Lead/Project Lead and/or Field Coordinator.