IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Governing Bodies Servicing Division (CSG) provides the Secretariat of the Conference and the Council, and supports all Governing and Statutory Bodies of FAO. It houses the Multilingualism expertise of the Organization, delivering corporate language goods and services. CSG also provides Protocol and Meetings services to the Organization, and sustains liaison and communication with Members.
The post 2008645 is located in the Protocol Services branch (CSGP) which acts as liaison between the Organization, the Permanent Representations and the Host Government, and provides administrative services regarding visas, privileges and immunities for staff and accredited Member representations. It ensures that applicable Protocol is observed in the relations with Members and the activities of the Organization.
The post 2008646 is located in the Meeting Services Branch (CSGM).
The post 2008647 is located in the Secretariat Services branch (CSGS).
The Office Assistant performs a variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant in CSGP reports to the Chief of Protocol and receives guidance from higher graded Office Assistants. He/she acts independently in routine matters and consults with supervisor(s) on new and/or more complex issues and procedures. Supervision received provides for technical and procedural guidance and on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant in CSGM reports to one or more professional staff in the Meeting Services branch (CSGM) and receives guidance from a higher graded Office Assistant. He/she acts independently in routine matters and consults with supervisor(s) on new and/or more complex issues and procedures. Supervision received provides for technical and procedural guidance and on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant in CSGS reports to the Chief of the Secretariat Services Branch. He/she acts independently in routine matters and consults with supervisor(s) on new and/or more complex issues and procedures. Supervision received provides for technical and procedural guidance and on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant interacts with a variety of colleagues from within the work unit. Interactions relate to the exchange of routine information and the provision of standard office support services.
• Type, format and draft routine correspondence; collate tables, reports, presentations, publications, and other documentation;
• Receive, screen and direct telephone calls and visitors; respond to routine internal and external enquiries and/or refer to appropriate contacts /units;
• Enter, retrieve, structure and update selected information and data from various sources (e.g. Intra-/Internet, office files, etc.); present results in standard format;
• Set up and maintain office files and reference systems according to standard procedures;
• Initiate, view and track a variety of administrative transactions in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
• Support the organization and administration of meetings, workshops and events (e.g. arranging for meeting rooms and other facilities.
• Assist with arranging for travels: organize transport, logistics, accommodation, documents;
• Ensure availability of office supplies and appropriate maintenance of office equipment;
• Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The Office Assistant participates as part of a team in the provision of administrative and office support services. Actions reflect on the immediate and wider work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Two years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English, and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
IT Skills: Knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge of the communication and documentation standards
• Knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
• Knowledge of the organizational structure
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
For position 2008645 in CSGP: Familiarity and experience of processes for supporting meetings of Governing Bodies and other meetings at FAO; Familiarity with Protocol processes in FAO or other UN Organizations; Working knowledge of Italian would be considered an asset for this position;
For position 2008646 in CSGM: Familiarity and experience of processes for supporting meetings of Governing Bodies and other meetings at FAO
For position 2008647 in CSGS: Familiarity and experience with processes relating to Governing Bodies of FAO or other UN agencies.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency