Post Number : 1ITSC0827TP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-SEP-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Under the direct supervision on the Head of Section/Senior Research Scientist, High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics (HECAP) Section, the incumbent initiates, develops and coordinates front-line research in High Energy, Cosmology or Astroparticle Physics, provides guidance and mentoring to post-doctoral fellows, visitors and students, teaches courses at the ICTP and elsewhere, and participates in the organisation of activities of the section and in the selection of applicants to ICTP programmes and activities related to the section. Essential responsibilities include:Long Description
- Undertake front-line research in the own field of expertise, identifying, developing and implementing research projects in that field.
- Participate in the hiring of post-doctoral fellows.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to post-doctoral fellows, and guidance to any associates, visitors or fellows that collaborate on these research projects.
Education and Training
- Teach in the Diploma programme of the HECAP section and supervise Diploma student thesis.
- Provide scientific supervision to and mentor M.Sc. and Ph.D. students.
- Participate in the selection of the Diploma students and of M.Sc. and Ph.D. students as required by ICTP programmes. Teach in international programmes of the ICTP, held at ICTP and elsewhere.
Scientific Organisation and Outreach
- Establish wide cooperation with scientists from developing countries and identify their scientific needs in arear related to own area of expertise and formulate appropriate recommendation for incorporation within ICTP programmes.
- Organize ICTP meetings, activities in the own field and organise ICTP external activities, predominantly in developing countries, in own field of research.
- Apply for and manage individual research grants. Participate in the programmes of ICTP Partner Institutes.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in High Energy Physics, Cosmology or Astroparticle Physics, or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional research experience in High Energy Physics, Cosmology or Astroparticle Physics or a related field.
- Demonstrated professional experience in the fields of High Energy Physics, Cosmology or Astroparticle Physics or a related field.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesize and analyse information from various sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Relevant professional research experience acquired at international level.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
- Experience in the development and coordination of scientific training programmes.
- Knowledge of Italian.
- Knowledge of another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
In addition to the online application, candidates are requested to submit their research statement to the ICTP Personnel Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) clearly indicating in the subject line "Research Scientist post no. 1ITSC 0827TP"BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.