Security Operations Associate
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the UNDP Security Operations Associate (SOA) include assistance to the Field Security Specialist on the protection of, and minimizing the risk to, UNDP staff, eligible dependants, property and operations in all locations, as well as some assistance to Operational/Administrative needs to the Security Unit.
In terms of functional security matters related to UNDP, the SOA will report to the UNDP Field Security Specialist who will serve as the primary supervisor.
It is important to note that the SOA is a local national with vocational experience in security & operations who must always conduct his/her functions in close cooperation with UNDSS, and under the direct supervision of and be accountable to the UNDP Field Security Specialist.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Threat & Risk Assessment
- MOSS & MORSS compliance
- General Operations Responsibilities
- Other tasks
- Assist in implementation of relevant security measures & procedures according to UNDP policies and regulations (e.g. MOSS, the Accountability Framework, SOPs and safe and secure practices) to assist decision makers in determining potential effects on UNDP activities;
- Under the direction of the SFP and in close coordination with UNDSS and the UNDP Management, review the impact of security factors on UNDP Programme design and delivery, as well as the potential impact that programmes might have on stability and security (both positive and negative), and makes preliminary recommendations regarding possible security needs and improvements.
2- Threat & Risk Assessment
- As requested, provide inputs to UNDSS to assist in the preparation of comprehensive Security Risk Assessments (Country, Regional, Site, Project or Individual specific);
- Under the direction of the FSS and in close cooperation with UNDSS, assists in the conducting of UNDP security risk assessments, evaluations and surveys and advises the CO on security measures for UNDP offices and projects in all locations.
3- MOSS/MORSS Compliance
- Assist the FSS in ensure that UNDP personnel, offices, residences and equipment are MOSS/MORSS compliant;
- Assist the FSS ensure that all staff members posted to UNDP have completed the Basic and Advanced Security in The Field Training and that records of certificates are maintained with the HR Unit.
- Ensure that all staff members are proficient in the use of, safety and security equipment, including communications equipment, vehicle emergency equipment and personal security safeguards required for work in the field.
- Provide advice on the selection and procurement of appropriate equipment for security (vehicles, telecommunications equipment, etc). Monitors the procurement, deployment and functionality of the same;
- Assist the FSS in provide orientation and training to international and national staff members on security guidelines, communication procedures, travel precautions, emergency procedures and existing restrictions in movement, such as curfews, restricted and dangerous areas.
- Provide assistance to the FSS, in coordination with UNDSS, for 24-hour response to all security and safety related incidents involving UNDP staff.
- Provide assistance to the FSS liaising and coordinating activities of partner organizations and counterparts in the planning, preparation and execution of missions, ensuring the safety and security of UNDP staff as the highest priority.
4- General Operations Responsibilities
- Support mainstreaming of security costs. Monitors that all projects/programmes contribute resources to implementation of security measures.
- Assist in formulating and managing the annual work plan and related budget.
- Monitor that allotted UNMSM funds are budgeted in ATLAS in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that costs and expenditures remain within budgeted and approved limits through the monitoring of monthly ATLAS budget reports.
- With the guidance of Coordinator and Program Management, assist the FSS in the preparation of the Procurement Plan.
- Assist in procurement processes with regards to events including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals & their preliminary evaluation.
- Timely prepare requisitions in ATLAS;
- Monitor payment to vendors in ATLAS; Ensures that transactions, monthly payment orders (MPOs), travel claims, DSA and other entitlements are duly prepared and are correctly recorded in Atlas. Proper control of the supporting documents for payments;
- Prepare travel and logistical arrangements for Security Unit missions.
- Ensure Check out form is completed and signed at the departure of the staff (UN ID back /radio call sign cancelled and radio returned to security.
- Maintain radio communication folder (Issue/Hand Over and Return voucher). Ensure that call signs are assigned to UNDP staff according to UNDSS instructions and procedures. Monitor Radios programming by WFP technicians. Ensure that UNDP Radio Master list is updated on weekly basis and transmitted to the SOC.
- Ensure that Emergency sheets duly filled by new staff members are recorded on a pen drive and are immediately available in case of emergency. Ensure that Constant Companion cards are kept updated and distributed to all staff.
- Maintain routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to security issues;
- Perform translation of documents.
- Arrange appointments, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls. Answer queries and take minutes and/or notes at meetings.
5- Other Tasks
- Provide assistance in the reporting and follow up incidents affecting UNDP staff and offices;
- In close cooperation with UNDSS, provides support to the FSS in organizing and conducting training briefings and courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness and giving orientation to newly assigned staff members;
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the protection of and minimization of risk to, UNDP personnel, property and operations in all locations of the country whilst at the same time enabling UNDP Programme delivery throughout the established project areas.
- Integrity – An ability to work honestly, openly, impartially and in accordance with the values of the United Nations.
- Professionalism – An ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Respect for Diversity – An ability to work effectively, respectfully, and inclusively with people from different backgrounds and with different perspectives.
- Communications – Clearly and effectively speaks and writes, tailoring language, tone, style and format to different audiences; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others.
- Planning & Organizing – Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusting priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Accountability – Adheres to organizational rules, regulations and standards; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Client Orientation – Provides services, support, advice, guidance to internal or external clients, and seeks to see things from their points of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; Demonstrates resourcefulness by finding new solutions to address operational or strategic problems.
- Commitment to Learning – Keeps abreast of new occupational/professional developments; Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; Provides constructive security advisory, training, coaching and feedback for others.
Profile: The successful candidate must have the profile and capacity to be deployed on sub-regional security SURGE tasks if so required by the RSA/DRSS.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- University Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
- 7 years relevant experience in security or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in English, French, and the language of the duty station. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Solid computer skills (MS word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.