Civil Engineer (retainer position)
Background Information - Job-specific
Support for Rule of Law Reforms in Ukraine (PRAVO POLICE) Project
The European Union funded ‘Support for Rule of Law Reforms in the Areas of Police, the Public Prosecution and Good Governance Project’ (known as PRAVO POLICE) has the overall objective of supporting the Rule of Law in Ukraine through strengthening the systems in place to support policing, prosecution and civilian governance in Ukraine and to align its functioning with the best European and International practices.
This PRAVO POLICE Project supports the creation of an efficient law-enforcement system respectful of human rights in support of the people of Ukraine, through the provision of necessary support to the National Police and other Ukrainian authorities in charge of civilian law-enforcement. On substance matters, the project relies on the EU Advisory Mission (EUAM) to Ukraine which is a Rule of Law and Police Mission, based in Kiev and with presences in Kharkiv and Lviv.
The PRAVO POLICE Project further provides support to law enforcement agencies (LEAs) capacity to upgrade their Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) supported processes and infrastructure, as well as ICT management capacity through the provision of ICT assessments, procurement of ICT equipment, and a range of other ICT solutions. This in turn will contribute to enhanced efficiency and effectiveness of LEAs’ services, while improving their accountability, transparency, and respect of human rights.
The Civil Engineer is a retainer based in Lviv, Ukraine to provide required services ensuring smooth implementation of the engineering works within ongoing and developing infrastructure activities. She/he is required to follow up on Work Plans and activities of contractors and report accordingly to the Project Civil Engineer as a direct supervisor or designated alternate. The role will be based in Lviv with frequent field travels to different regions of Ukraine on an as needed basis.
The Civil Engineer provides technical assistance and expertise with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work, for the construction works. The Civil Engineer promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team.
Construction works supervision
Monitoring and progress controls
1. Construction works supervision
| 2. Quality Control |
| 3. Monitoring and progress controls |
- Masters degree in Civil Engineering is required.
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering in combination with 2 additional years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Masters degree.
- Certified/Registered for construction supervision and quality assurance from the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing Ukraine is desirable.
- Certified/Registered for consultant engineer would be an asset.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation) would be an asset.
- Driving licence (B category) is desirable.
- Minimum two years of relevant professional civil engineering experience is required.
- Experience in civil works design and construction, supervision and/or implementation of buildings construction and reconstruction for medium to large scale construction projects is required.
- Experience in working with the EU and/or a UN agency would be a strong asset.
- Fluency in Russian and Ukrainian is required.
- Working knowledge of English is required.
Ability to travel independently.
Strong computer skills and advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Knowledge of a CAD software.
Familiarity with FIDIC Contracts is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position, it is therefore open to Nationals of Ukraine and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) - retainer
Contract level: Local ICA, Level 9
Contract duration: Until September 2022
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.