DDG Project Officer
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
There is the specialized unit within DRC that is dedicated to humanitarian mine action. It established mine action programmes in Ukraine in 2014 and has since been expanding the scale and scope of its intervention to include mine risk education, humanitarian demining, victim assistance, advocacy, and training/support for national actors.
In terms of national actors, DRC has been working to support the State Emergency Services (SES) of Ukraine, in order to tackle the issue of explosive ordnance contamination, via the provision of equipment and training and technical guidance.
DRC Ukraine is looking for a highly qualified Project Officer (HMA - Capacity Building / Medical) for it’s office based in Sievierodonetsk.
Overall purpose of the role:
DRC has been already engaged with SES via a new project that specifically aims to support the SES’s engagement in comprehensive humanitarian demining. The Project Officer (PO) will be responsible for the provision of planning on medical support to mine action training and refresher trainings, procurement of the medical equipment, tools and consumables, medical support for the deployment and quality assurance/ control (medical) of demining teams. As well, PO will be responsible for all related planning and support duties and all in line with NMAS, DRC SOP and IMAS.
The Project Officer does not manage any subordinates but collaborates with other POs, DDG Technical Advisor, DDG Medic and Quality Management Unit and closely works with the SES demining teams.
Tasks and Duties:
Programming and Operations:
- Implementation of outputs (related to medical support) set in the proposals and reporting;
- Deliver efficient and effective operational plan, review SES clearance/ surveys/ training/ capacity building statistics against targets (medical part);
- Write regular operational reports monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports (medical part) to assist the DDG Supervisor per request and assist in maintaining of projects reporting mechanisms in general;
- Conduct internal Quality Control and Quality Assurance of medical support during SES clearance operations;
- Delivery of specific medical training to both DRC and SES staff with support from relevant DRC colleagues;
- Contribute to the development and improvement of DRC/SES SOPs (medical support to mine action) when required;
- Carry out any other task on medical support matters as required by DDG Supervisor/ DDG HoP.
Coordination and Representation:
- Conduct frequent visits to the SES active minefields to ensure that medical support of clearance/ surveys guarantees safety and conforms to DRC Standard Operating Procedures and National Mine Action Standards;
- Represent DRC at local and national events, and relevant technical/medical coordination meetings per specific request by Line Manager/ DDG HoP if/when necessary and required;
- In coordination with Line Manager, collaborate with relevant internal and external technical/medical experts on sector relevant issues;
- Maintain excellent dialogue and communications with national actors (Police, JFO etc) in order to ensure the delivery of the project;
- Support integration of the projects within HDP sector and with other DRC sectors.
- Explore new techniques, technologies, method, tools etc for smooth and efficient implementation of the project objectives;
- Assist in proposal writing and development of the budgets related to the medical costs and capacity building of staff;
- Develop project tools (trackers, check lists etc) which will improve quality of medical support of the operation.
- Assist the logistic preparations and planning of trainings in terms of medical part;
- Prepare the request for procurement of medical equipment together with DRC Supply Unit;
- Assist deployment of the SES demining teams including EOD and NTS teams in terms of medical support;
- Confirm the recruitment of SES suitable medics;
- Assist SES/ DRC medical equipment maintenance and inventory checks;
- Assist during internal/external field visits and briefings per request.
We expect from you: minimum 3 years previous experience in medical area and full understanding of its specific requirements;
Required experience and competencies:
- Relevant medical degree (secondary-level medical education, ability to conduct resuscitation procedure, ability to cover medical administration, etc);
- Proven skills in providing first aid and different types of medical support, including supporting demining teams;
- Proven skills in delivering trainings (Basic Life Support, Advanced Life Support, Field Medic);
- Good level of computer literacy with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other related applications;
- Proven experience in carrying out medical support for humanitarian mine action projects;
- Proven experience with delivery of medical training to staff and counterparts;
- Experience in stakeholder liaison and in insecure environments;
- Fluency in Ukrainian and Russian, advance knowledge of verbal and written English (desirable).
Contract length: until 31.08.2022 with the possibility of extension based on available funding.
Start date: October 2021.
The application is open for Ukrainian citizens only! Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 19 September 2021
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.