Honiara (Solomon Islands)
Eligibility criteria Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment. Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of UNDP SECSIP Chief Technical Adviser or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Research Assistant will:
- In compliance with UNDP Rules, Regulations and policies, the incumbent will be part of SECSIP Graduate Programme. For this assignment, the incumbent will be co-located at the Office of the Registrar of the Political Parties (ORPP). The incumbent general duties and responsibilities are:
- Support the ORPP in the research of best practices on political party registration rules and policies;
- Liaise and coordinate with other stakeholders as guided by the Registrar and Deputy Registrar;
- Provide a monthly report on the activities carried out in support of the ORPP to this Office and to UNDP SECSIP;
- The day-to-day tasks in support of the ORPP expected to be performed in this assignment include the following:
- Support ORPP in the elaboration of a research plan identifying key areas and proposing a timeline for its completion.
- Conduct of desk review of previous research findings identifying best practices on political party registration rules of other jurisdictions.
- Propose interview schedules for surveys and carry out follow-up communication for the conduct of primary research.
- Carry out comparative analysis for the identification of opportunities to be considered in the Solomon Islands context.
- Propose mechanisms to enhance social inclusion in the political party scene. This may include recommendations on the use of women and youth wings to promote gender equality as well as other alternatives to enhance participation of traditionally disadvantaged segments of the population (people with disabilities, rural population) in the decision-making of political parties.
- Assist in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools to measure impact and progress as a result of the activities implemented.
- Perform other tasks as requested by UNDP SECSIP in consultation with the Office of the Registrar of the Political Parties.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. political science, law or related area
- Experience acquired in public service, media or education sectors will be considered an asset
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization will be considered an asset;
- Good oral and written skills for drafting and reporting; ability to support document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including at grassroot level with community members, religious and youth organizations, and with public authorities; familiarity with tools and communication approaches for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet;
- Self-motivated; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in democratic governance, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Knowledge of Pidgin is requiredDriving license Competencies values Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Working in Teams Application procedure * Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Link to follow for - Registration steps Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile including contact details and two references and submit it. Incomplete profiles shall not be considered. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Post is for National UN Volunteer assignments ONLY. Therefore, only nationals of above-mentioned Country and legal residents with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply. For further details, please click on the link below. Application deadline: 19-09-2021