Senior Sanitary and Phytosanitary Standards (SPS) Advisor
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
The mandate of the African Union Commission - AUC - Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment (DARBE) is to initiate, develop and promote continental policies, frameworks, and programs to contribute to agricultural transformation, rural development, blue economy, and sustainable environment in line with Agenda 2063. The Department has two Directorates: (i) Agriculture and Rural Development Directorate with two Divisions namely: Agriculture and Food Security Division and Rural Development Division; and (ii) Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy Directorate also with two Divisions.
The African Union Commission’s Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment (AUC- DARBE) is leading efforts to support African Union (AU) Member States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) to strengthen sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) regulatory systems and harmonize SPS measures for animal and plant health and food safety across Africa.
AUC-DARBE’s Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development seeks to recruit a Senior SPS Advisor to lead its work to advance the implementation of the AU SPS Policy Framework, enhance SPS systems in RECs and Member States, and develop tools to monitor, evaluate, and report on efforts to strengthen SPS systems by Member States. The Senior SPS Advisor will be based at AUC headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and will also support the AfCFTA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana on SPS implementation issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Agriculture and Food Security, the Senior SPS Advisor will perform the following duties:
- Support implementation of AU Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Standards at continental and regional levels guided by the AU SPS Policy Framework.
- Develop the SPS index for inclusion in the CAADP Biennial Review report.
- Support SPS advocacy and communication activities by preparing and giving presentations, preparing briefing documents, guidelines, and fact sheets for outreach with relevant stakeholders.
- Contribute to the identification, formulation, and implementation of national, regional, and international capacity building for SPS Standards in coordination with a consortium of implementing partners to maintain an open dialogue and align efforts.
- Fast-track technical work addressing organizational development, partnerships, and demand- driven research at Member States level.
- Facilitate analysis of constraints and opportunities for investment at all levels of selected value chains, in relation to the SPS standards, trade policies, risk management systems, as well as food safety control systems when applicable.
- As needed, attend conference calls with Akademiya2063 and USDA to review scope of work and answer any questions concerning implementation and delivery of tasks.
- Provide monthly reports of progress on program activities.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Food Safety, Development Studies, Economics or Law or in the related field
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in Food Safety and SPS measures in Africa
- Proven experience in working with an international technical cooperation agency or in SPS related technical assistance projects
- Proven working experience on the application of the WTO SPS and TBT Agreements and in Codex activities
- Very good knowledge of international, risk-based food safety requirements and of SPS related matters
- Knowledge of the WTO SPS Committee and the International Standard Setting Bodies, including Codex, OIE and the IPPC.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to liaise effectively with relevant stakeholders
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills. Fluency in English.
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities