UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
As all countries around the globe are seeking new ways to address complex and interconnected challenges such as shocks from crises, economic stagnation, inequality and poverty, providing access to clean and affordable energy, protect the environment, or mitigating and adapting to climate change, UNDP aims to develop integrated responses to these issues.
The UNDP Country Office (CO) in Brazil is a key development partner of the Brazilian government and supports national and sub-national public and private sector institutions and civil society to achieve a more sustainable and inclusive society by strengthening democratic institutions, improvement of governance effectiveness, reduction of poverty and inequalities and addressing climate change and biodiversity issues.
In aligning the organizational resources behind its strategy, the Country Office (CO) functional structure comprises three main areas, the management support functions, Programme team and Operations Team. The Operations Team is composed of Human Resources (HR), Finance, Joint Operations Facility - JOF (Procurement and Travel), ICT, and General Administration / Logistics units, all of which are responsible for quality assurance for the implementation of UNDP policies and procedures in these operational functions.
The Joint Operations Facility (JOF) in Brazil was developed within the context of the implementation of the Business Operations Strategy (BOS) and aligned with the “Operating as One” pillar of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for UN Country Teams. The JOF is focused on the simplification of business processes and the integration of operational services across UN entities with flexibility to adapt to the country context. Currently it brings together four UN Funds, Programmes and Specialized Agencies as core founding members (UNDP, UN Environment, UNFPA and UNWOMEN) on a single service platform for business operations through harmonized procedures in Procurement and Travel. The services are also provided on ad hoc basis to other UN entities in Brazil, on demand. To address redundant and/or inefficient business processes the JOF in Brazil is one of only four integrated Business Centres across the UN System.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the JOF Manager, the Procurement Analyst ensures the effective delivery of procurement services in the CO. The incumbent is entrusted with the provision of capacity building and advisory support to JOF Clients/Agencies and UNDP project teams in the CO with the coordination of procurement services requested by the projects to assure high quality and accuracy of services.
This position is responsible for specific operational activities such as the management of procurement processes, strategic sourcing, selection and evaluation of proposals, contract preparation and management of related Procurement Unit’s Activities, and supplier relationship management.
The Procurement Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit and works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the UNDP CO for dealing with complex procurement-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Design and Implement daily procurement-related activities in the CO
- Management of procurement processes
- Design and implement sourcing strategy and procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide analytical inputs to the elaboration and implementation of operational and procurement strategies, ensuring full compliance of procurement activities with the harmonized and applicable UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities and implementation of the effective internal control system, analysis of parameters in support of proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Follow-up and monitoring of procurement process under his/her responsibility to ensure effectiveness.
- Ensure the provision of procurement policy advice to UNDP Projects and JOF Clients/Agencies, establishing a coordination mechanism with JOF system.
- Analysis and proposals on elaboration of contract strategy, sourcing strategy, quality management, supplier selection, improvement of ad-hoc procurement processes in the JOF.
- Proposals of cost saving and reduction strategies in the JOF and projects being supported by JOF services.
- Prepare ex-ante submission to the corporative procurement committees.
- Prepare submission to the corporative procurement committees.
- Participate in the Procurement committees to accelerate the delivery and project implementation.
- Support the UNDP Program Unit and Project Teams within the negotiations with Partners and discuss procurement strategies.
- Propose solutions and strategies to solve problems.
- Analysis of information for preparation of transactional procurement plans and monitoring of their implementation.
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB, RPA or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UN applicable rules and regulations.
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Joint Procurement Review Committee (JPRC) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Follow-up on timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
- Implementation of procurement services and elaboration of proposals/ analysis to guarantee the timelines agreed with Programme and Donors.
- Support to JOF Manager in data analysis and KPI’s.
- Maximize competition and best value for money.
- Analysis of comparative reports.
- Elaboration of reports of critical factors with direct impact in the JOF’s delivery.
- Provides feedback on JOF collaboration and proposes improvements or common solutions as required.
- Support the implementation of JOF procurements systems and solutions.
- Participation in the organization of training for the operations/projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices on procurement.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice in the larger UN operational system as well as in UNDP.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge
Sharing Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.2: Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Post-Graduation courses (Stricto or Lato Sensu) in Administration, Business, Finance, Economic or other related area.
- Or 4 years of relevant experience beyond the requirement can be considered as equivalent to the Post Graduation requirement.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, at the national or international level, in the execution of procurement services.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of web-based management and social knowledge management systems and networks.
- Strong familiarity with ERP Systems.
- Solid experience in project implementation is desirable.
- Procurement certification will be considered an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken Portuguese.
- Fluency (written and oral) in English.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement (N-PSA) modality; the UNDP Service Contract modality is phasing out over the coming year. More information about the N-PSA is available here.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC and N-PSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.