Finance for Development Officer
Pretoria (South Africa)
Eligibility criteria Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment. Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the SDG Finance and South-South Cooperation Regional Advisor the UNV Finance for Development Officer will:
- Technical Assistance and programme support to African Countries (35%)
- Provide country support for the development of INFF, in line with the UN DESA methodology for INFFs, with a particular focus on the Development Finance Assessments (DFA) and SDG financing strategies as requested by UNDP COs.
- Assist COs in the national revenue mobilization agenda of the countries, including through the tax reform processes, by linking the work under the Tax Inspectors Without Borders Global Programme to the regional domestic resource mobilisation for a renewed social contract project.
- Support development of country engagement plans in African countries reflecting the main workstreams of the AFSH DRM project as required.
- Any other related duty as may be required;
- Policy Analysis and Support to global and regional policy dialogue on Financing for Development in Africa (35%)
- Carry out research and analysis on the transformative development cooperation landscape in the region, including through support to undertake the Development Finance Assessments in the African countries, with a particular focus on opportunities opened through the AfTCA, and on issues such as the MIC graduation process, the 4th industrial revolution, the opportunities of the renewable energy and diversification of economy for resource dependent countries.
- Facilitate programme development and country participation in global and regional policy dialogue on financing for development and DRM/Tax and Development.
- Support the ddevelopment of concept notes for technical workshops/webinars/side-events for regional INFF and DRM related activities.
- Knowledge management (30%)
- Coordinate team contributions and support to KM activities, whether at the regional level to help influence/advance policy dialogue of development of integrated financing frameworks, and mainstreaming of South South/Triangular Cooperation into national development programmes and strategies, and;
- Coordinate and perform knowledge extraction, analysis, documentation, codification of results/lessons learned on development of integrated financing frameworks, mainstreaming of South South/Triangular Cooperation into national development programmes and strategies
- Advanced degree in the fields of communication, social sciences, social communication, development studies, economics, political science, international relations, public policy, or a related field (Graduate degree with at least 3 years of relevant work experience may be counted as equivalent)
- Knowledge of the sustainable development agenda, including Financing for Development and the Addis Ababa Action Agenda related recommendations.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the fields of public financing or impact and SDG oriented investment.
- Experience in drafting analytical documents, planning meetings and producing reports on tight deadlines;
- Some prior experience in the design of knowledge products and facilitation of networks.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- Sound understanding of key analytical and policy issues pertaining to international development, with a particular focus on the African context
- Demonstrate initiative, ability to work independently and flexibility to respond to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of current trends in Finance for Development, Taxation, South-South Cooperation and current debates around International Development Cooperation
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Excellent inter-personal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated capacity to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and proven ability to produce high-quality work
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills and demonstrated capacity to synthesize and summarize extensive research material into concise briefings to draft communications and outreach materials for the team Demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural team environment